• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with setting up planted tank.

Rob stone

Seedling
Hi I am looking for some advise into setting up my first planted tank. Firstly what should I use for the substrate what's the best out there at the moment? Secondly I'm running a cannister filter what media do I need to use and place in there? Also would I be needing co2 to run this tank.

Thanks in advance

Also look at the products from Easy Life. They have a range of products which include Easy Carbo, Easy Ferro (iron) Profito Plant Fertiliser, and Plant Sticks for poking into the substrate. So if you do decide on use an inert none fertilised substrate such as JBL Sansibar White River Sand, then you can use the plant sticks to supplement the root growth.

Or of course you could just follow the guidelines in the Estimative Index (EI) journal from Clive.

Substrate I've used them all in the past, including ADA Amazonian Soil. Personally the JBL Volcanic Base substrate topped with JBL Plant Pro soil is cheaper and just as effective.

If you use plain white quartz gravel which has no fertiliser in it or something similar, I would use a base covering of either Dennerle or the Aquaflora fertilised powder at around 1 inch deep then cover with whatever sand or gravel you choose.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi thank you all for your replies. I'm looking at something along these lines attached. My tank at the moment only has a standard t5 light by the looks of it. I'm just after some advise into what substrate I could use, I keep getting told about dennerle but then I quite like the black powder substrate george uses in his videos. Also would my lighting be ok or do I need to upgrade? Again to have a setup this unique what should I be using in my cannister. Thank you for your help appreciate it.

Tropica planting substrate is the one George tends to use. There is an under layer then the planting aquasoil stuff you only need that one. Your lighting is fine but you need to decide if you are going to use pressurised co2 or not then we can advise further on this... Just use whatever comes in your filter (you'll need to cycle it of course!). In planted tanks, the plants do most of the work anyway

Back