• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nursery Island - 10Ltr Nano Journal

I moved the stones a bit and then got bored and so..........

..........Here is the tank with equipment.
fulequip.jpg

Do you like my modded spraybar? :lol: This is half a fluval internal spraybar which then goes into an L bend from the tetratex EX700s pipework. Then another L bend from an old 'FrF' internal UV. Each section is held together by 1" of 12mm hose jammed into the joins. lol Works really well and looks quite cool too I think.

And then....yep you guessed it. I got tired of waiting for the Glosso. lol

Out came the superglue, some small stones and then I cut a few pieces of rhizome from the needle fern. Ran out of superglue after 3 pieces (2 pieces per stone) so I had to go to the dreaded cotton thread for the other 3. I absolutely hate using cotton wool. Takes ages, keeps slipping off, hard to get tight etc. lol

Anyway managed that. Then took the single Byxia Japonica plant I got from a UKaps member and shoved it in. Has been sitting in the main tank for a week and is nearly melted. Hopefully will come back nicely.

Here is LED tank heaven:
tankcorner.jpg

This is in the daylight. The bottom tank has 3 of the 5 series on at this point so thats 9 x 2.8W (25.2W = 0.76WPG :lol)

The top tank has 3 x 2.8W on.

Here are a few close ups which are quite representative of what I see in reality. Very hard to get good pictures of this tank because this gravel seems very reflective!!!
Firstplanted.jpg

front-6.jpg

When the 3 pots of glosso comes I shall split eachpot into 8 and then plants 24 clumps around the foregound and sides and then leave it.

Dosed 7ml macro, 2ml trace and 2ml EasyCarbo and then left it for the lights to come on.

Hope you like it :)

AC

Looks really good, should look great when the ferns take hold.

The tank looks a bit high up though... :lol: can you reach it ok there?

Just a quick update. Unfortunately I can't remove the net as it is full of cory eggs but fully planted now.

Added more stones in here!!! they are the ones with the anubias petite on from my main tank :)

fullfront-6.jpg

AC

Thomas McMillan said:

Thomas - It is 10Ltrs plus glass. Equipment comes out into a pot. Then I use the strength of one woman to pick it up and put it on the dining table. Do my water change/work and then use the strength of 2 women to put it back up ;)

AC

SuperColey1 said:
Thomas McMillan said:

Thomas - It is 10Ltrs plus glass. Equipment comes out into a pot. Then I use the strength of one woman to pick it up and put it on the dining table. Do my water change/work and then use the strength of 2 women to put it back up ;)

AC

Haha, sounds like a good plan ;)

I have to say, this does look a lot bigger than 10l.

yeah. just let them get big enough not to get eaten in the main tank and then let them grow on there while trying to get someone to take each batch of my hands.

AC

SuperColey1 said:
yeah. just let them get big enough not to get eaten in the main tank and then let them grow on there while trying to get someone to take each batch of my hands.

AC

How large are these guys when fully grown, Andy?

Female is about 3" long nose to tail. Similar in length to a pitbull plec but of course taller and a little wider.

The males are about ¼inch shorter and much slimmer.

The female is on the foreground in this main tank picture. This tank is 30":
fullfront-5.jpg

AC

Still only had 1 survivor so far. Me thinks the MP400 is far too much even with the DIY sponge on the end and they get blown about like billy-o. Waiting for an Eden copy from HK which is half the lph.

They are still spawning once a week so eventually we'll crack it.

On the plants front they have had to contend with quite a lot of changes with me going form light with lenses to light without lenses to removing the lense holders totally and siliconing the LED to just above the holes. lol

Allied with the MP400 'heating' the tank and then the Newattino adding 5ºC the tank has been at around 28-29ºC a lot of the time.

Hopefuly the external should sort out both the plants and the fish :)

AC

I'll post some pics on this tank later before I decide what to do with it.

Although it is coming on reasonably nicely (bar a constant fight with BGA which is a first for me) it isn't being so succesful as a nursery so I may have to minimise what I do r.e. plants and maybe just have a thin base of sand with some Riccia stones to give it a little 'life'. lol

AC

It has a Boyu 150/200lph external filter and CO2 rigged up to it these days ;)

It used to have a DIY filter.

AC

I let this little tank go a little between february and April. The filter was too much for the fry @ 400lph. The Glosso was struggling and my Corys started to get a little sick and weren't spawning.

With this in mind I decided that as I had so much HC at hand I would try the emersed method.

At the same time I decided to branch off my CO2 to this tank so I bought an inline needle valve, a barbed T connector, 2m of CO2 hose, bubble counter and an NRV. I didn't stop there ;) I also bought a 200/150 lph (manufacturer and retailers can't seem to decide on the lph) external filter.

Here are the emersed pics:

7th April:
drysttop.jpg

drystfront.jpg

17th April
emers1704.jpg

21st April
emers2104.jpg

I then connected up the filter the CO2 and set it off.

Unfortunately within a few days it was covered in Cyanobacteria. I tried a 4 day blackout which worked and as this was at the same time as my Corys has spawned I put 119 wrigglers in. There are also 5 cherry shrimp in there.

A few days the Cyanobacteria was showing signs of returning. All but 1 fry were no more and therefore I decide on the 20th May to rip this down, give it a good clean and try something else.

Sorry folks, a premature end but with it being a fry tank there isn't much room for fighting things that involve bacteria.

However on the same evening as ripping it apart it was rescaped and a new journal will start. Keep your eyes peeled :)

AC

Back