• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

help identifying species

kpdp54

Seedling
Hi,

I'm starting my second scape which will be inspired from this photo below.
Would anyone know what is the plant with such long stem and leaf reaching the surface (in the center)? I've scrolled through the whole Tropica database but I can't pinpoint it exactly.

If you can also identify some other species present at the front, I'd be grateful :)

Thanks

dd40048d1307c5889980c3d6d483add0.jpg

The pic is a bit small for a proper id.
But giving it a go, i guess, left hand side front corner the darker colored is a Bucephalandra or Lagenandra.. Left hand back grassy sp. can be a lot, Valis, blyxa, cyperus, maybe.

Mid left looks like a narrow Microsorum, maybe the taiwan. At the front maybe an Anubias. The longer stem plant in the mid and back with the leaves touching the surface i tip on a larger Cryptocoryne sp. Because looking detailed i seem to see some leaves at the surface (reflection) having a hamered texture, this is typical for matured Cryptocoryne leaves..

Mid riight front, could very well be an Eriocaulon (or a needle leaf - trident Microsorum) and a Lagenandra behind it. For the rest it looks like different Bucephalandra's and some anubias.

But you realy need to get up closer with a beter resolution to narrow it down.. With the mentioned plant sp. you can get a pretty close simular setup.

Anyway, looks like a pretty serious well tought out setup, i bet it has a journal with a list roaming the net somwhere. :)

Last edited:
Isn't it Crinum calamistratum?

Hi all,
Cryptocoryne balansae or Aponogeton
I agree with @Edvet, and I'd put my money fairly heavily on it being <"Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae">.
Isn't it Crinum calamistratum
That does have a <"very similar leaf">, but the leaf tapers towards the bulb, rather than having a defined petiole ("stalk") and lamina ("leaf"), like the plant in the image.

Partially I think it is a Cryptocoryne because of the leaf texture, Crinum spp. have a very robust chunky leaf and <"Aponogeton"> spp. a thin, "filmy" leaf, this plant look somewhere in the middle.

cheers Darrel

Yes, I think you're right actually :)

Pic. is really not good for id.
plant in very centre could well be Crypt. crisp. var. balanceae (their leaf-shape can look quite differently) - but have a look at Lagenandra thwaitesii too, since this is also a possible candidate.
I see leaves from plants aound this plant, that look more typical for Crypt. crisp. var. balanceae.

Hi all,
but have a look at Lagenandra thwaitesii too
@Mick.Dk you are right, it is the plant on the right that I think is Crypt. crisp. var. balansae. I was wondering if the stiff looking plant, right in the middle, was an Echinodorus sp., but Lagenandra looks a better fit.

For the OP, Mick works for Tropica and his is nearly always the right answer.

cheers Darrel

Where did you get the photo from? It's a really nice tank! I'd like to try and find out more about it...

I was wondering if the stiff looking plant, right in the middle, was an Echinodorus sp., but Lagenandra looks a better fit.

cheers Darrel
Have a closer look at newest leaf of the plant. New leaves of Echinodorus do not come out "rolled" - new leaves of Araceae do. Both Lagenandra and Cryptocoryne are Araceae family, so it only rules out Echinodorus family. You are right about the "stiff" look, and this points to Lagenandra.

Back