• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Songs from the Man Cave!

Father Murphy walks into a Pub in Donegal and asks the first man he see's "do you want to go to Heaven?"
Yes replied the man."Then go over there and stand against the wall" says Father Murphy.
The father then asks a second man "Do you want to go to heaven?" Certainly Father replied the man.
Then go stand against the wall says Father Murphy.
Father Murphy then walks up to O'toole and asks "Do you want to go to Heaven?" No Father I don't says O'toole.
"What?" Cries Father Murphy,You mean that when you die you do not want to go to Heaven?
Oh Yes says O'toole, "When I die I most certainly want to go to Heaven,I thought however,you were putting together a group to go right now?"

Timmy Thomas "Why can't we live together"

William Devaughn "Be thankful for what you got"

Muddy Waters "Got me a rich mans woman"

Stanley Abernathy "Only when I think of you"

Hi all,
Quality, it reminded me of the Gary BB Coleman's version of the "Sky is crying" from earlier in the thread. I like Boz Scaggs, but I'd never heard this.

I know the Fenton Robinson original, but only because it plays at the start of the "Blues Brothers", when Elwood is picking Jake up from jail.

cheers Darrel

I had never heard of Boz Scaggs before last week. I have listened to The Allman Brothers Band occasionally and came across this listening to other Duane Allman tracks he had played on. I will check out those other references as I'm in the mood for some more blues :) cheers

Hi all,
I had never heard of Boz Scaggs before last week
He had hits with "Lido Shuffle" and "Lowdown" in the 1970s. I'm quite old, so I can remember them playing on the radio, and I'd always like "Lido Shuffle", and particularly "What can I say".

I would suppose you would describe most of his 70's out-put as "Blue-eyed" Soul, but it isn't a term I like.

cheers Darrel

I've just listened to all those tracks, the Gary Coleman's 'Sky Is Crying' is sublime. I recognised the 'lido shuffle' too although I always thought it was by Billy Joel or someone like that, lol. The Boz scaggs - Boz scaggs 1969 album is definitely worth a listen to. It's got that muscle shoals sound which is quite different from those singles.

Another album I have been listening to the past month is 'ultrasonic studios' by Bonnie Raitt and Lowell George. This is my fav track from it, a Steve winwood cover

skip the first 2 minutes if you don't want to hear Bonnie tune her guitar and talk ;). It isn't a great quality vid and there is also a live version of this on youtube by Winwood and Clapton that is absolutely fantastic too, nicer than the Blind Faith version imo.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I've just listened to all those tracks, the Gary Coleman's 'Sky Is Crying' is sublime.
I'd never heard the song, or of the artist, until @roadmaster posted it here, although I now know it is a blues standard written by Elmore James.

Enjoyed Bonnie Raitt and Lowell George as well.

Alexis Korner used to have an hour show on a Sunday night on Radio 1 in the <"late 1970's, early 1980's"> and he used to play all sorts of blues, southern soul, country rock etc., when most of the other radio programmes just played chart stuff, and that was where I heard Little Feat, Delaney and Bonnie, Muddy Waters etc.

cheers Darrel

Once more for Bobby Bland " Member's only"

Back