• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flies!

Aqua360

Hi all,

I've got two small emersed set-ups, using 99p aldi soil and an assortment of aquatic plants grown emersed. I've recently noted the presence of small flies in the set-ups, which is a nightmare, I've got no idea what they are, maybe midgies or something?

No idea how they've originated, I use cling film on the set-ups and the windows aren't always open, but nevertheless they are there, and I need them gone.

Any suggestions? I'd hate to breakdown the two set-ups, but I will if there is no other option; I can't fill them either since its soil, I'd have to put sand on top, which would likely decimate my carpet.

Will upload pics of set-ups shortly,

thanks guys!

IMG_20181006_162544.jpg
IMG_20181006_162548.jpg
IMG_20181008_203023.jpg

You could make them very wet ( spray them till soaked) and gently drip them till filled, then suck the water out again.

something i considered, but its uncapped soil I have in there, so likely to be an utter riot if I fill it :(

Need to consider my options, worst case I'm going to have to get rid of all the soil and replace with aquarium plant substrate

hadn't actually wanted to fill these set-ups lol

Yellow sticky traps, as sold for greenhouse use. You might need to cut them to fit, or improvise ways of hanging them.
Or maybe a potted Sundew plant left in there for a few days.

Yellow sticky traps, as sold for greenhouse use. You might need to cut them to fit, or improvise ways of hanging them.
Or maybe a potted Sundew plant left in there for a few days.

I think i'll just empty them, I liked the aesthetic minimal equipment look, but if adding stuff like that etc, game's a bogey for me. Good suggestion though, I'd actually half considered adding a carnivorous plant, but not sure it would flourish, plus anecdotally I've heard tapwater is bad for them long term,

Hi all,
hadn't actually wanted to fill these set-ups lol
If you don't ever intend to fill the tanks you can use an insecticidal option. There isn't a systemic insecticide available to home gardeners that will control the larvae, but a pyrethrum based insecticide will kill the adults.

The other option is to dry the compost out a bit, I'm not sure you'll be able to get it dry enough to deter them without damaging the plants, I usually dry the Grindal worm cultures a bit when they get Sciarid flies in them, but that encourages the Cereal Mites, so it is swings and roundabouts.

If you have any small surface feeding fish (Betta, Pencilfish etc.) they really like them, in my experience even more so than vestigial winged Fruit-flies (Drosphila melanogaster). You can squash the Sciarid flies when they are mating and can't fly.
actually half considered adding a carnivorous plant, but not sure it would flourish, plus anecdotally I've heard tapwater is bad for them long term
Most don't enjoy tap water, but <"Pinguicula moranensis"> (and hybrids) (from <"this thread">) are fine watered with hard water (and easy to grow).

The leaves on these usually have a smattering of small flies.

pinguicula-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Grindal worm cultures
Darrel, try this, i got my whiteworms and grindal worms on this (Seramis)
850600-seramis-producten-kleigranulaat.jpg

No more flies and mites, i rinse the cultures every few weeks if they start to smell.

Just rinse a portion clean, soak the granulate so it's moist, poor the worms on top, add some food ( i used soaked dog kibble) and i put a creditcard on top of it.The worms will climb on top of the cc, and i brush them of with a paintbrush and rinse the brush in the tank. I have 5 cultures going like that.

How about using spiders, don't know much about spiders that are naturally present in your area, and if there are any there that would be suited for the kind of environment in the tanks, but it might work.

Back