• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape First proper scape attempt. Bite me!

Hendre

Hey guys,

I'm Hendré from South Africa and I'm having a go at a proper aquascape with accumulated wood and rocks from the past while.

Please give me any comments or criticism, I'm getting more plants soon.
Basic rundown:
62x31x31cm tank
Mixed Aquasoils
12W LED lighting

Plants:
Anubias barteri small - growing more emersed
Bacopa monnieri
Single piece of hygrophila pinnitifida
Crypt wendtii green
Dwarf swords
Tiny smidge of lilaeopsis

IMG_20181008_184024.jpg

Any comments, plant suggestions or anything of the sort would be appreciated!

Hey guys,

I'm Hendré from South Africa and I'm having a go at a proper aquascape with accumulated wood and rocks from the past while.

Please give me any comments or criticism, I'm getting more plants soon.
Basic rundown:
62x31x31cm tank
Mixed Aquasoils
12W LED lighting

Plants:
Anubias barteri small - growing more emersed
Bacopa monnieri
Single piece of hygrophila pinnitifida
Crypt wendtii green
Dwarf swords
Tiny smidge of lilaeopsis

View attachment 118483

Any comments, plant suggestions or anything of the sort would be appreciated!

Good to see you on here from Monster Fish Keepers! ;)

Hendre

My first comment is, I wish you had started posting long before you got to this stage.

At the moment all I can see is two attempted Aquascapes one each end of the tank.

Substrate flat and uninteresting.

RH end, one well sculptured rock well positioned (an interesting slope). Then it has a carefully placed rocks around it and, a few pieces of DW on it very unnatural and again uninteresting.

LH end totally different, a rock pile with a few well placed and interesting pieces of DW.
That area is very interesting to view, then you spoil it by placing those carefully positioned rocks around it.

I would strongly suggest if you want an interesting Aquascape to be very proud to have it in your home and share with friends.

First make a mock tank (as per photo) using common sand or even garden soil as a substrate.
Strip all out except the plants not required in mock tank plus it would kill them.

Sorry if I am rather harsh I would give you an honest "Critique" than say Wow it looks fantastic etc.
0A%20A%20Box%20Aquascape%20mock%20Tank%20_edited-1.jpg

Keith:wave::wave:

My first comment is, I wish you had started posting long before you got to this stage.
Unfortunately schoolwork has consumed most of my time till this point.

At the moment all I can see is two attempted Aquascapes one each end of the tank.

Substrate flat and uninteresting
I couldn't find a nice way to blend the wood well, instead trying to make two seperate parts. There are several crypts placed around that should fill in the left space somewhat.

I understand what you mean by the substrate. I have more that's being used to grow bacopa monnieri emersed.

LH end totally different, a rock pile with a few well placed and interesting pieces of DW.
That area is very interesting to view, then you spoil it by placing those carefully positioned rocks around it.
Are you suggesting that I move those rocks?

I would build such a setup, just don't have space or time at the moment.

Hendre
Unfortunately schoolwork has consumed most of my time till this point.

I like that, from an old retired trade teacher of 26 years.

OK a quick and easy way remove all those roundish red rocks as they are the biggest distraction left and right side.
Hendre%2012.10.18%201%20_edited-1.jpg

Have you got any more of similar Drift wood pieces?

Keith:wave::wave:

I don't have any other rock to replace it with. Will have to find some. The aim is to cover them with mosses, getting taiwan and willow moss this weekend from a friend.

And unfortunately not, wood is difficult to find and is very pricey here.

Very good for first attempt!! Keep going.

Back