• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Guppy grass propagation

peaches

I bought some "guppy grass" to try. It seems to be all leaf clippings. Will a new plant grow from just a leaf or does it need a length of stem? I can't see how singular leaves would grow. I have tried to delete the nestle file and cant :) I didnt remember it being there to upload!

Attachments

• 20181003_213442.jpg
    20181003_213442.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 435
  • 20181003_122526.jpg
    20181003_122526.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 463
Last edited:
As far as I know "gyppy grass" is common name for Najas. Often Najas guadalupensis. Leavrs of this plant are usually quite close together, especislly at parts actively growing. Najas often do not grow roots, but they can. When they do it is usually very long and strong "anchoring roots" growing straight and fast to bottom-layer, where they spread out as "normsal oots".
You will need a piece of stem and an active growing-point, to propogate the plant though. If you are lucky, such a bit of stem is hidden inbetween the "leaves only", that you see. I think I see such a bit of stem to the right, middle of your pic.This piece does not need to be planted in bottom-layer, but will grow happily as a fee-flowing plant as long as nutrients are available.

Last edited:
So your advice would be to drop only the stem pieces in the tank and see what happens? I felt so doubtful, that I contacted the seller and asked them to send me a proper stem piece as I didnt think the leaves on their own were any good.

Agreed some stem pieces and it should go of. Why the seller didn't send more puzzles me it grows like wildfire, i am always chucking it in the bin.

I'm seeing a solution develop here! :p

Hi all,
Why the seller didn't send more puzzles me it grows like wildfire
I think they probably did, and the problem was that the plant has disintegrated in transit.

Personally I don't post Ceratophyllum demersum any more, because if it is delayed in the post you just end up with millions of detached leaves, swimming in a green mush. It is a shame because they are brilliant plants, for nearly all tanks, and great nutrient sinks.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, I think they probably did, and the problem was that the plant has disintegrated in transit.

Personally I don't post Ceratophyllum demersum any more, because if it is delayed in the post you just end up with millions of detached leaves, swimming in a green mush. It is a shame because they are brilliant plants, for nearly all tanks, and great nutrient sinks.

cheers Darrel
He he - in comercial business we call such plants "bad travellers".It is a solid obsticle for comercial distribution.
- but ofcourse we are continuously working on such obsticles....... ..

Some sellers take the trouble to use a small box which is narrow enough for large letter, others put it in a flat envelope with a cardboard back.

Lot 2

Not the best way is it.
20181006_124742.jpg
20181006_124607.jpg

Back