• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Tank, pump and light recommendations

Nubias

So I’ve been keeping any eye out for a desktop shrimp/nano fish tank and have managed to pick up a used aquaone mini reef 90 that I will convert to freshwater. It’s a 45cm cube at around 90l with another 20l maybe in the sump. Will start a journal when I get it cleaned up, here they are as new
http://www.aquaone.com.au/2018-02-20-00-40-42/aquariums-3/minireef/item/3161-53418bk

Initial thoughts are to stay low tech and go for a low maintenance set up - classic GF style. Ferns, crypts, anubias, buce but also want to have something emergent up towards the overflow weir and probably pothos growing out of there also

Looking for light suggestions, I have the two supports as seen in the link so either a twinstar style suspended off both or something more kessill like suspended off one. I’m looking for affordable solutions so open to all suggestions even non aquarium options. I do however want to be able to have some dimming control to balance the light needs vs. algae growth and sunrise sunset programming would be an added bonus. Either though inbuilt controller or app or an aftermarket controller of sorts.

Also looking for return pump suggestions, it has the factory pump but from what I’ve read they are noisy. I have heard jebao are pretty good/silent. Again something relatively affordable as the aim is to keep costs down for this tank. Also assuming I aim for the 10x turnover if I get something that’s rated at 20x and run it at 50% would this also help keep noise down as apposed to matching something to the 10x

Any suggestions on the cleaning up process (salt deposits) are welcome as are suggestions on sump configuration. Currently there are two main compartments separated by a baffle. I was thinking about dividing the first with some acrylic so I have separate mechanical and biological with heater and return pump in the second.

Hi all,
Initial thoughts are to stay low tech and go for a low maintenance set up - classic GF style. Ferns, crypts, anubias, buce but also want to have something emergent up towards the overflow weir and probably pothos growing out of there also
You could use a "Chihiros A Series Plus" light if you want to stay with "low light" plants.

cheers Darrel

Any return pump suggestions anyone?

Looking at Eheim compacton Or a Jebao dc pump as both are inexpensive and apparently quiet..ish

Jebao dc pump
From first hand experience I can tell you these pumps are brilliant especially for the money, they are very quiet and you can control flow rate with the controller.
There's a reason the marine boys are choosing these over the more expensive pumps both for running reactors and return pumps.

Thanks also considering Tunze 1073.020 as an option also.

So many mixed reviews on the jebao pumps but thanks for the feedback. Looking at the Jebao DCP2500 run at around 50% to give me aprox 10x turnover. Do we still aim for 10x with sump filtration? At around $80 it’s a fairly affordable option though.

From first hand experience I can tell you these pumps are brilliant especially for the money, they are very quiet and you can control flow rate with the controller.
There's a reason the marine boys are choosing these over the more expensive pumps both for running reactors and return pumps.

I had one, and they don’t have the same head rating as advertised, it really drops off. Not so important in planted, unless you have shrimp but one of the stainless steel screws corroded and led to all my sps corals RTN and loosing them.

I had one, and they don’t have the same head rating as advertised, it really drops off. Not so important in planted, unless you have shrimp but one of the stainless steel screws corroded and led to all my sps corals RTN and loosing them.
Gutted.
I know there were some knock offs going round when they changed to Jebao/Jecod but that was a few years ago now.

Back