• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Amano Shrimp breeding project

Will be following with interest, I've never managed to raise the larvae but have been meaning to make a proper attempt for years.

Good luck! :)

Hi Thanks

touch wood nothing bad happen

day 6

all zoe's seems to be okay I've noticed some of them have black/brown heads they're close to the bottom and probably feed there
today or tomorrow I'll check if there's any No2/No3
on day 15 im planning to do 20% water change (if they're still alive)

pictures are not best quality but if you zoom you can see them
20180920_073858.jpg 20180920_073800.jpg 20180920_073750.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Everyone

quick update

day 21
lots of zoe's still alive later I'll post some pic/video
salanity 34 ppm
temp 23 degrees

I'm planing to increase temp to 25-26 degrees as it might speed up zoe's growth, started to grow phytoplankton Nannochloropsis Sp, got 8 berried amanos which are kept in separate tank

Cheers!!!

Just a thought on temp mate. If they're doing fine I wouldn't change anything. It just might be the thing you wish you never done at this stage.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

Ahh OK, thought it was already heated and you were going to crank it up.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

Hi Everyone

I've decided to start this jurnal to share my experience with Amano Shrimp breeding.

Its just beginning of my journey so fingers crossed ;]

04/09/18
- female in breeding net berried for apx 3-4 weeks(main tank)
- breeding tank 12l deionized water salanity apx 32-33 ppm /l
11000ml water 398g sea salt mix
24h light 3x power led

06/09/18
- 3 ml phytoplankton poured into breeding tank (dubt there will be any phytoplankton multiplication )
- female still with eggs
View attachment 117707 View attachment 117706
The density of normal salt is just over 2 sg, so your salinity will be slightly higher when you use that formulation.

Hi

Should be higher but wasn't as I've checked with hydrometer also it's not normal salt but Instant Ocean one which with normal calculations gives less ppm than with normal salt

video day 22 below (watch on yt with max resolution )

Yesterday I've made 5l water change next week planing to make up to 8l so i can see them better
most of the zoe's are attracted to light but some stay away and just feeding on the bottom
started adding spirulina small amounts
temp 25 degree Celsius
salanity 32-33 ppm

Going well mate, how many do you reckon you have in there?

Hi Everyone

So today is day 31 for my zoe's, good news is that they're still alive bad is that some of them didn't make it.
I've stopped feeding them as I assumed they fed on the bottom (this might be the cause ) other than that I did 5l water change (apx 45%) so with next batch I'll do 20% water change every 5 days

water temp - 25 degree Celsius
salanity - 33 ppm

any time I'm expecting at least 5 zoe's to morph as they're visibly bigger than the rest
Regarding my berried amanos from 8 only 3 still have bellies full of eggs (they should release them by the end of the month ) remaining 5 dropped them all so they're back to the main tank

short video below (later today I'll try to make better o one)

Cheers to everyone who's still reading this jurnal :)

Nice one, at what point do you start converting to freshwater and how are you planning on going about it with them all at different stages?

Nice one, at what point do you start converting to freshwater and how are you planning on going about it with them all at different stages?
I saw on the videos that complete shrimps start to move like crazy as (I assume) they get burned from salty water. In the nature probably they start to swim towards to fresh water current.

You have done really well. I hope they all survive for you. I have just found one of my females pregnant I wouldn't know were to start.

Back