• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Seachem Purigen Will Be Render Useless By Dechlorinator?

SolarPear

I emailed Seachem around 10 days ago and haven't had a response yet about this issue. In short I have a large piece of Driftwood that hasn't finished releasing tannins. Tannins block light and so for the first time, I've decided to use Purigen. However, I've read that unless I use seachem dechlorinator the purigen will be rendered useless.

I use Fluval Aqua+ and have about 750ml left. Will this be safe to use with purigen?

I believe the issue isn't necessarily that you have to use Seachem Prime; rather you should avoid using amine based dechlorinators when regenerating the Purigen as these will react with the chlorine in the bleach and may create chloramine.

I'm not sure about the use of amine based dechlorinators while using the Purigen, but I've done so for several years without incident.

Purigen is only affected by dechlorinators that have things like anti-slime coat in. Seachem Prime doesn't have issues. I have been using Prime and Purigen for years and Purigen still works after "recharge". I also rinse the Purigen, after soaking in bleach, with strong Prime solution to remove any left over bleach.

Thanks Ian and Millins for the response here. I guess I'll have to switch products. But my trepidation is that I've only ever used Fluval A+ and on moving found out that I need to dose 10ml instead of 5ml because 5ml set my cycle back. The water here is heavier with chlorine so I'm wondering, what dosage should I use for Prime if I had to double dose Fluval to make the water bac safe?

1ml of PRIME treat's nearly three times the volume of water that all other's do.
Would treat water with PRIME at suggested dose unless tank has not matured and fishes are present?

Back