• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Liquid Co2 Advice

Tommy

Hi everyone, I will be using liquid Co2 in my new planted tank when its finished, what do I need to know and how do I test to make sure I don't overdose? Thanks:)

Trick question? Follow the manufacturers guidelines!

No it wasn't actually, Im new to a planted tank this will be my very first. I plan on following the directions I just thought there might be a chance of overdosing if you don't know exactly how much is in the tank, I thought there would be some way of measuring this ?

I recently started adding this, tank is 100l & the label says 1ml per 50l every day. So I dose 2ml once every 24 hours.

I recently started adding this, tank is 100l & the label says 1ml per 50l every day. So I dose 2ml once every 24 hours.

The one Ive got (reef to reef I think the make is) dosing is 1ml per 100ltrs every day so I will need to dose 2.5ml per day for my 240ltr tank.

I was just thinking, does the carbon in the filter not take this out the water?

I was just thinking, does the carbon in the filter not take this out the water?
I don't use carbon in my filter I took it out I only use it after I have used meds. In a planted tank you don't really need carbon. I also use liquid carbon mine is tnc, 6ml per day I dose in my 400 litre tank.

I don't use carbon in my filter I took it out I only use it after I have used meds. In a planted tank you don't really need carbon. I also use liquid carbon mine is tnc, 6ml per day I dose in my 400 litre tank.

So best to remove the carbon, I have 2 externals on this tank so will have to remove from both.

does the carbon in the filter not take this out the water?
The short answer is no.
The type of carbon you run in a filter is active or activated carbon; this type of carbon is great at removing tannins and organic compounds amongst other things it helps polishing the water.
The type of carbon which is used as a substitute for CO2 gas amongst other things isn't the same; I won't try and explain it as I don't understand it.
There are plenty of people on here better suited to explain the science! :pompus:

I really wouldn't bother running carbon in the filter unless you need to remove meds etc. Been keeping fish for 12 years now and for the longest time I bought into the "I must use carbon" thing, but the past couple of years I haven't touched the stuff and haven't seen any ill-effects at all. It's just an extra expense you don't really need. Even my local shop who have plenty of carbon on the shelf said don't bother with it :D

The only thing I use other than bio media and sponges is purigen, I found from my testing that it really does help to clarify the water and it can be recharged fairly simply.

I would say yes you don't really need it imo,
The short answer is no.
The type of carbon you run in a filter is active or activated carbon; this type of carbon is great at removing tannins and organic compounds amongst other things it helps polishing the water.
The type of carbon which is used as a substitute for CO2 gas amongst other things isn't the same; I won't try and explain it as I don't understand it.
There are plenty of people on here better suited to explain the science! :pompus:
I really wouldn't bother running carbon in the filter unless you need to remove meds etc. Been keeping fish for 12 years now and for the longest time I bought into the "I must use carbon" thing, but the past couple of years I haven't touched the stuff and haven't seen any ill-effects at all. It's just an extra expense you don't really need. Even my local shop who have plenty of carbon on the shelf said don't bother with it :D

The only thing I use other than bio media and sponges is purigen, I found from my testing that it really does help to clarify the water and it can be recharged fairly simply.

Thanks for the info really appreciated, the wood Ive got is still leaking tanins even after nearly 3 weeks fully submerged, if carbon takes the tanins out I think I will leave it in for a few weeks. :)

Your water changes should take care of tannis, also it has no harmful effect, it is not visually pleasing for some. Dont worry about it too much, just stick with your water change schedule, eventually it will go away, some wood takes much longer, next time try boiling/pre-soaking wood, if you havent already done so.

Your water changes should take care of tannis, also it has no harmful effect, it is not visually pleasing for some. Dont worry about it too much, just stick with your water change schedule, eventually it will go away, some wood takes much longer, next time try boiling/pre-soaking wood, if you havent already done so.

I have been soaking the wood for about 3 weeks in the bath with hot water changing it several times a day. :)

Thanks, think I will just use it for a month then.

Thanks for the info really appreciated, the wood Ive got is still leaking tanins even after nearly 3 weeks fully submerged, if carbon takes the tanins out I think I will leave it in for a few weeks. :)

I believe purigen can also also remove things like tannins. My tank has some driftwood in it and I have never noticed the water being "stained" :) Purigen does cost more than carbon but it's well worth it, one of only a few products I consider not to be snake oil in this hobby haha

I believe purigen can also also remove things like tannins. My tank has some driftwood in it and I have never noticed the water being "stained" :) Purigen does cost more than carbon but it's well worth it, one of only a few products I consider not to be snake oil in this hobby haha

What is purigen I don't know anything about it.

Back