• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Black Ottos

I wanted them, but having arrived on two wheels and a cold wet journey back over the Pennines, I had to keep my hand down.

6u6a7era.jpg

Neither, CSG. I assumed that with you being Warrington way, Darwen being not too far away, I put 2 & 2 together... Oops! :)

Anyone ever kept them
Its an old thread but I have just found it. I have found that they are compatible with 'normal' ots but do not co-shoal/school with them. Both types, (may have more than one species of oto) just graze plants and ignore each other or feed side by side on cucumber slices or on commercial sinking food.

H. leucofrenatus or H. notatus,
I bought five of these, but which one I do not know (they seldom hide at the front) from an old and very ill man in the London area who breeds them. His grandson advertised them on eBay and as I was in the area I called in by arrangement. The females were much larger than the males who are also darker in colour. As to why they are called black ots I do not know, mine are as show in the pictures a fudge brown with champagne spots. They look almost golden at some angles. I would be surprised if the breeder was still alive.

While on little plecs I also have a couple of Hypoptopoma gulare they also get on with ordinary ots and black ots. They will share a broad leafed plant leaf without fuss. However the H gulare (giant ots) will throw their weight about with each other and especially the L10a's when it come to commercial sinking food. H gulare appear to tolerate each other but do not group together.

Back