• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A new journey

Carpman

I'm about to embark on a new journey after 2 years with my current scape/setup, the time has come to rip it down and start fresh. Since my tank had matured I found the fish tend to either hide or be hidden by the plants so this time I'm going for lower growing plants with a few high for just the background.
I will be trying an Iwagumi style scape, I love the fact that you can see so much more and you know what they say less is more, I have no idea if this is going to work because I'm using a Trigon 190 so composition is going to be a pain. There will be a new mock tank so I can play around with compositions, upgrades current equipment and probably spending more money than I should, and of course, plenty of questions be back soon with some media to show you.

If you go Iwagumi, remember to have some fast-growing stem plants too. Those setups with just foreground plants and a few slow growing plants tend to get algae outbreak due to high lighting and CO2 injection.

I have outgrown Iwagumi due to the fact that fish tend to be a little stessed in such setup with wide open space and exposure to bright lights.

If you go Iwagumi, remember to have some fast-growing stem plants too. Those setups with just foreground plants and a few slow growing plants tend to get algae outbreak due to high lighting and CO2 injection.

I have outgrown Iwagumi due to the fact that fish tend to be a little stessed in such setup with wide open space and exposure to bright lights.

Advice noted cheers.

Sorry in advance this may turn out image heavy.
Just a couple of pics of my full mock tank.
20181021_185243.jpg

20181021_185223.jpg

My first attempts at a new scape, dontmind it myself but have issues with stone size, Need biGGer
20181021_192022.jpg

20181021_191959.jpg

Last edited:
Nice mock up tank! I think you're right, they look a little small but the layout is nice.

I knew they were too small for what I wanted/needed, I worked out roughly that I would need a centre stone about 14" in height and about 6-8" across the base. So here I go hunt the net, I not could find anyone selling large single pieces, being sold in bulk 10/20kgs that's how I bought the last lot so not taking the chance on getting a few large stones, that was the end of the net. In the end I decided to use LFS's, there are 5 localish after driving to 2 I found nothing. I decided to ring the third, they said they had a bucket full pieces about 8" is size. When I got there they had a hand full 5 pieces some about 8" so I have now got to try and marry some pieces together or this will be another wasted trip, I can make 2 fit together but they will need some sort of fixing.
I would say one thing though they had a beautiful large/very large seiryu stone must have been 16/18" in height and 10" wide 6"deep and the bloody thing weight in over 15 kgs, I would have loved it if I had'nt been looking for Dragon.
I did'nt take any pics of the new stones but 4 of them are in the scape below the base stone of 2 on the left, the center 2 stones which have actually been stuck together and the far right.
Please dont be shy critique if you wish.

Building a little height
20181023_104312.jpg

20181023_104611.jpg

20181023_111219.jpg

Some more scapes slightly different, I still have my original stones in current tank so cant go to far until I have all my stones to hand.

20181023_113535.jpg

20181023_113041.jpg

20181023_113049.jpg

I know Trigon's are renowned for being a pain when it comes to getting the flow right. I had some issue's with setup tried a few different ways, so I thought of another new 1 hoping that the more traditional setup will benefit the tank better.
Current setup is a spray bar down the left side with the koralia helping with the flow. The old setup was 2 spray bars around the front but Believe that it created the issue with pushing my aqua soil toward the front (theoretical flow was backwards).

To the flow guys n gals out there can you see any problems with this.

20181023_152303.jpg

Thanks
have a trawl through Gary nelsons trigon journals, they are the best examples of scaped trigons ive seen.... im sure flow is discussed somewhere..../

Thanks I just had a quick look, and I can see from 1 of his pics that he is using a single wide nozzle pointed towards centre of front glass so i should be ok, I will be have 3 total pointed at front glass. I should be ok using 3 and each will be pointing at 1/3rd's of front glass.
I will read it later though thanks again.

I decided to have a play with phone and video starting with how tanked looked before I stripped it down, the syphoning of media and the the ram in its temp home. This was all shot and edited on my phone so very basic.

Back