• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need help please

Narto Sunarno

Seedling
Hi folks.

I need some help, please. My tank is a 64L, has been running since Jul 2018.
Been fighting with algae since.

There are 3 siamese algae eaters, 5 amano shrimps and 1 coolie in the tank. I've been doing 10% WC each week. I run CO2 3-4 bps 5am-5pm. Light schedule is sunrise 6am-9am then noon 9am - 3pm and sunset 3pm-6pm, after that moon phase.
Dosing fert : micro 0.6ml on sundays, macro 0.6ml on tues, micro 0.6 on weds, macro 0.6ml on fridays. Mostly i let the fishes to look for their own food but every other day i give a bit of frozen bloodworms.

I use a Eheim classic 250 filter and UV-C, and a cheap constant wave maker. Also a double cooling fans that run almost 16 hours a day, evaporation is around 1.5L/day. However mostly temp is around 27-28C. I live in Indonesia where temp is 25-36C, realfeel nowaydays 39C. Humidity is 55%.

The plants are now covered with some algae. Some of the leaves have BBA (I think). I need some help please.

Regards,
Narto Sunarno
0c3690c0d3a8b6d717272b4fb89e3d3e.jpg
bdb0409e34f60cdb33b84d6917120bbd.jpg
3ac9c5f88b32f7e98a4560a889e06852.jpg
3794ad4c6eccd596f9163e5889326e29.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi narto, immediate thoughts would be insufficient water changes, should be changing 50% weekly and photoperiod is too long, better to stick to eight hours or less perday. There are also lots of threads on here with advice on how to get rid of existing algae but I'd think starting with a really big clean and water change afterwards with reduced light period after would be a decent starting point. Good luck! :)

hi, there isnt any need for sunrise and sunset, just have them come on for 5-6 hours for the time being. Also being as you can create a sunrise/ sunset you can dim your lights down to about 30/40%

Are you using any ferts to feed the plants?

Use a small brush to clean the rockwork and wood to loosen any algae.

If you can get your water tested to see the quality of water you are putting back into the tank.

large water changes 50/ 75% after every clean. I would try every other day for the next couple of weeks then every 3-5 days for another couple of weeks then once a week thereafter.

Feed less live foods and try and get hold of some high quality flake and only feed what can be eaten straight away.

maybe someone else can give a little more advice but in the mean time this is the route i would be taking

I agree with whats said more fast growing plants/floaters two 50% WC s then one 50%weekly. Reduce lighting/photoperiod. Feeding bloodworm every other day with these fish might be overfeeding,. try live daphnia and good quality dryfood

hi, there isnt any need for sunrise and sunset, just have them come on for 5-6 hours for the time being. Also being as you can create a sunrise/ sunset you can dim your lights down to about 30/40%

Are you using any ferts to feed the plants?

Use a small brush to clean the rockwork and wood to loosen any algae.

If you can get your water tested to see the quality of water you are putting back into the tank.

large water changes 50/ 75% after every clean. I would try every other day for the next couple of weeks then every 3-5 days for another couple of weeks then once a week thereafter.

Feed less live foods and try and get hold of some high quality flake and only feed what can be eaten straight away.

maybe someone else can give a little more advice but in the mean time this is the route i would be taking
Hi.

I use fert. Wondergro Micro+ and Macro+.
Day 1 : micro+ 0.6ml
Day 3 : macro+ 0.6ml
Day 4 : micro+ 0.6ml
Day 6: macro+ 0.6ml

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...7&share_tid=31467&share_fid=6876&share_type=t

Looking at this link, i might need to add more on macro+, which i think contradict to controlling algae.

About the WC, i think for the start ill go with 50%. And also definetely reducing light schedule.

Thanks.

BR,

Rotala Butterfly has an EI calculator for premixed solutions. Perhaps you want to try and look around. If you know the ppm or concentrations of the NPK of Wondergro then just compare it to a premix product with similar values.

Rotala Butterfly has an EI calculator for premixed solutions. Perhaps you want to try and look around. If you know the ppm or concentrations of the NPK of Wondergro then just compare it to a premix product with similar values.
I don't know the ppm concentration they put in the mix. I just compared different brands that rotala had, and the least amount needed were 5.5ml rootmedic macro, and 1.1ml rootmedic micro per week. Those dose are way higher than what I use.

I'll try other ways first (WC, cut light) before adjusting fertilizer. Thanks anyway.
abb5e34266cd89a9ec0b403fbc3c360d.jpg
314a40d07513aded753940b8f43894ee.jpg

I've cut my light schedule, now sunrise 1 hour, noon 4 hours, sunset 1 hour.
Did 50% WC,
And dropped 40 horned nerite snails.
And the result is very good, start to get cleaner, as in the pic. Good advises.

I don't want 100% diatom free. I'm afraid of what comes next if tank is diatoms free.
e2582027b7979f5bcac1b97acbfd21f7.jpg

Whoa, it's almost spotless.

After WC50%, and cut back light to 6 hours, I dropped 40 horned nerite snails and a few days later some 40 amano shrimps.

They work restlessly and voila, no algae anywhere.

Thanks folks.
e37fd1ed26155496098f5fae66c8ae2f.jpg

Back