• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

90x45x45 planted Betta sorority

Nuno Gomes

Even though I can't make a journal from the very beginning, since this tank was started over a month ago, here are pictures of how it's developing, this is the first day:

2018-09-27 23.00.08.jpg

I have since rearraged some plants, added cyperus helferi and blyxa japonica and upgraded my Chihiros A501Plus to a Chihiros WRGB90, and it now looks like this:

Chihiros WRGB90.jpg

The tank is a clear glass custom made 90x45x45cm, I'm using a Hydor Professional 600 canister filter and Hydor 300W in line heater. CO2 injection via a 2Kg bottle with basic single stage regulator and a Qanvee in-line diffuser.
I'm pretty happy with how it's developing, the crypts in the back completely melted down in the first week but they are growing back steadily, I'm slowly increasing ferts (tropica) as I see deficiencies.
I appreciate any comments ;)

I have a group of 8 female bettas in the tank already, they took a couple days to get used to each other and set their pecking order but have since gotten along just fine. Here's a video made a couple weeks ago, with my old light, of treat time:

I got to make another video with the new light fixture, the colors of the fish really pop. I also have a shoal of 20 Rasbora Espei, and I got 5 Amano shrimp. My wife wants to get a few Honeycomb catfish but I haven't been able to find any until now.

Very nice layout. I know it's grown in some since the first and second pictures, but it surprising what a difference the new light made.

Hi,

The right Wood is too close from the right glass and is looking too symetrical from the left one, can you still move it?

Otherwise, nice start, are you satisfied with the hydor pro filter? I'm looking for one for my 60p

Thanks

Very nice layout. I know it's grown in some since the first and second pictures, but it surprising what a difference the new light made.

The quality and quantity of light were much improved, I'm very happy with this light so far

Hi,

The right Wood is too close from the right glass and is looking too symetrical from the left one, can you still move it?

Otherwise, nice start, are you satisfied with the hydor pro filter? I'm looking for one for my 60p

Thanks

I agree, I tried to position the wood in a different way but ended up deciding to leave it like this for a few reasons:

The focal point is at the base of the piece of wood on the left so your eyes automatically go there, obviously this doesn't work so well when looking at a picture.
The piece of wood on the right has a very nice looking base, again not very obvious on the picture, but it draws your eyes to the bottom of the tank.
And lastly, I'm planning for that piece of wood to be completely surrounded and covered in crypts, java fern and eventually moss, so that will make some amends to its positioning.

As for the Hydor filter, it's a nice piece of hardware, very sturdy and above all very big, it holds a lot of media. The only negative is that is uses 19/27 hoses to I had to get adapters to install 16/22 tubing and lily pipes.
For your tank I think the Hydor Pro 350 will be a good match.

Another week has gone by and I took another picture after maintenance. There's some algae on the top of the wood and on the rocks at the front but nothing major. Other than one of the trident ferns turning partially black, maybe due to not receiving any light, all plants are healthy and growing steadily. Next week or two I will be adressing the piece of wood on the right, maybe adding some moss to the top.
Chihiros WRGB90 2.JPG

Back