• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Taiwan Bee not so nano

Testiment to nerite snails....
It's been years since I had some and now I'm wondering why I stopped keeping them in a planted tank.
The two images are 2 hours apart...
be1113b5981a7a8adb5586e16e390a1f.jpg
66796c5b0bd2494b98d7a2e332e59508.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Clithon corona species seems fantastic (Jurijs mit JS & Green Aqua highly recommended) - other Nerites I’ve kept eventually donate a multitude of tiny (& not so tiny if larger snail species :wideyed:) white egg casings which are extremely well adhered to various surfaces :banghead:

I’ve recently added a few “batik” snails - another Nerite species - no eggs yet but they can take a year sometimes before blessing your tank with children ;)

Are you not worried about chemicals from sprays etc in the kitchen landing on the water surface?

Assuming sprays are used of course

Looking good Iain, somehow I've missed several updates.
Going to have to get some of those nerite snails
They are brilliant mate, plants look more pristine by the minute.
The Clithon corona species seems fantastic (Jurijs mit JS & Green Aqua highly recommended) - other Nerites I’ve kept eventually donate a multitude of tiny (& not so tiny if larger snail species :wideyed:) white egg casings which are extremely well adhered to various surfaces :banghead:

I’ve recently added a few “batik” snails - another Nerite species - no eggs yet but they can take a year sometimes before blessing your tank with children ;)
I'm pretty sure that was why I stopped using them previously Alto, hopefully these don't cause such an issue as I remember the eggs are almost impossible to remove.
Are you not worried about chemicals from sprays etc in the kitchen landing on the water surface?

Assuming sprays are used of course
It's not an issue as we avoid sprays generally anyway, cream cleaners on a cloth for the stove but otherwise hot water does most jobs

I'm pretty sure that was why I stopped using them previously Alto, hopefully these don't cause such an issue as I remember the eggs are almost impossible to remove.
Okay...so is this still an issue with Clithon corona?

No idea Tim , hoping not so much. If I start seeing them the snails will be taken out.

After a quick Google Clifton diadema, zebra horned nerite, require brackish water to breed so possibly won't lay eggs until salt is detected???

Nerite and clithon sp will lay hard white eggs everywhere on your hardscape, they're very very hard to remove and very annoying on iwagumi or woods setup...but it seems they won't do that in every tank? My iwagumi was full of eggs at the end so I don't use these no more and use toothbrush and excel instead

Otherwise, nice snails

I’ve had some of these for over a year, still no eggs

BUT there is another similar horned Nerite (sold as “sun” something) which is significantly larger than Cc - and different in appearance once your eye is accustomed - which do start up with the egg busy-ness

Note that I’ve only had “sun” Nerites leave eggs on wood (basically need to scrape off the top layer of wood to remove egg cases ... they usually do release larvae which then die quickly) and occasionally on glass which are easy enough to remove
They must just not like my rocks :confused:

Zebra Nerites, Onion Nerites and other larger species seem much more determined to attempt to breed and I’ve observed egg deposits within a few weeks (unless very small juvenile snails)

What is that sexy moss sp please?
It's mini Christmas moss, it's taken amazingly well given no it has no co2.

Can be tough to find but Dave at Aquarium gardens can probably help you if wanted some, in their high tech tanks it stays even more compact.

Nerite and clithon sp will lay hard white eggs everywhere on your hardscape, they're very very hard to remove and very annoying on iwagumi or woods setup...but it seems they won't do that in every tank? My iwagumi was full of eggs at the end so I don't use these no more and use toothbrush and excel instead

Otherwise, nice snails
I found that species are not well identified and Clithon Corona and Clithon Diadema seem to be interchangeable but obviously different species.

In my 22l shrimp tank I have three horned nerites from P@H and one does seem to be a slightly different species to the other two. I have read that having more snails actually reduces the amount of eggs (they think the population is already large enough). Either I have been lucky to only get males or this is true.

In my main 180l tank I have two large zebra nerites and two horned nerites. They do seem to go after different things and the larger snails prefer the glass and wood where as the smaller horned nerites seem to prefer feeding from the leaves and ornaments. I do get eggs all over some driftwood but it doesn't bother me too much here so I live with it

Hi Iain
Beautiful scape U have there and awesome shot of the shrimp "pollinating " the Bice flower.
Do U find that the Maple leaf rock sheds fine dust (clay) like particles when U wave something near it.How did U clean it before placing in the tank
Regards Konsa

Testiment to nerite snails....
It's been years since I had some and now I'm wondering why I stopped keeping them in a planted tank.
The two images are 2 hours apart...
be1113b5981a7a8adb5586e16e390a1f.jpg
66796c5b0bd2494b98d7a2e332e59508.jpg

Can I please use these images on a FB fish group I admin for? :) Just to show people how good these wee snails are as algae eaters

I'm on forum catchup here... so sorry for being a little late to the party on this one but I just wanted to congratulate you on an amazing low tech tank and great journal

I'm on forum catchup here... so sorry for being a little late to the party on this one but I just wanted to congratulate you on an amazing low tech tank and great journal
Thanks Matt, I pop you a pm soon.

Back