• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Lonely tree in a summer meadow 'scape - opinions please

Andrew Butler

So here's how my aquascaper 900 is looking at the moment.
I know I need to have a bit of play around with the soil still and fill out a few hollows / even out a few humps but this is the overall look I am going for - I do wonder if I should try and make the slope into the back left a little more pronounced, bring it out further or maybe both?

I plan to quite possible cover the whole thing in a 'wild looking carpet' and just adding some planted interest to the wood, no stone and let it speak for itself. I'm also thinking about covering the back left slope in a carpet of Staurogyne Repens. to change things a little bit.
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/wild-looking-multiple-plant-carpet-suggestion.55690/

Suggestions and criticism quite welcome.

'Lonely tree in a summer meadow' is just something that sprang to mind so if you can think of something better let me know.

20181108_150521.jpg
20181108_150557.jpg
20181108_152044.jpg
20181108_152051.jpg

Nice manzanita, fits the tank well. Personally I'd have a couple of stones at the base of the tree - just for some added interest and different textures. You will have to rely on a real variety of plants to keep an interesting look otherwise in my opinion. Looking forward to the result though!

I like the wood but the 'trunk' feels just a smidge too central, maybe another inch to the right?

Be interesting to see how much depth you could create using finer leaved carpeters on the back slopes - just to add to the difficultly in balancing multiple carpet plants.

Andrew
Andrew%20B%209.11.18%20_edited-1.jpg

As regards to your hardscape and substrate perfect. All very clean smooth lines exceptionally easy on the eye.

To keep it that way I would only add one large dark coloured smooth rock. Plants I would again only use one low grassy plant, by doing that it will give you the open plains look.

This would then give you the perfect KIS effect only three pieces, dead tree, rock and, a grassy look.

Warning the more you play around and add bits and pieces you immediately lose that perfect KIS effect.

One very important point this time out of the tank on the LH end there is another tank and its going to be a massive distraction. You could cover the ends of your tank with a black or a sky blue vinyl school book covering.Naturally it has to be done on both ends. This also hide all your filtration piping etc.

Keith:wave:

Love this concept and the tree is amazing

But consider how the landscape would shift within the frame of a tree - which here includes the entire glass box - the sloping of the substrate seems an artifice ... unless you’re very attached to the current aspect, I’d play with the shape

I’d try assorted grasses to give some texture to the meadow rather than a single species trimmed to shapes
eg, various eleocharis
maybe small amounts of Lilaeopsis species (try to source in vitro cultures so you get submerse leaf appearance sooner)

Jurijs mit JS makes some interesting points in his recent Frosted Aquarium Background video

@Keith GH & @alto how 2 people can have such differing views!

I would again only use one low grassy plant, by doing that it will give you the open plains look
I’d try assorted grasses to give some texture to the meadow rather than a single species trimmed to shapes
I had planned to use a couple of different plants across the carpet; just to add a bit of interest really, You don't normally see a wild meadow with just grass and nothing else.
I'm only talking a little bit mixed amongst the MC, I was also thinking of something a bit bushy to grow around the base of the tree - in truth I'm still pondering over many ideas.
If you have some input then please have a look at the thread below.
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/wild-looking-multiple-plant-carpet-suggestion.55690/

Love this concept and the tree is amazing
Let's hope it stays together as one!

consider how the landscape would shift within the frame of a tree - which here includes the entire glass box - the sloping of the substrate seems an artifice
I'm not understanding what you're saying here.

One very important point this time out of the tank on the LH end there is another tank and its going to be a massive distraction. You could cover the ends of your tank with a black or a sky blue vinyl school book covering.Naturally it has to be done on both ends. This also hide all your filtration piping etc.
I toyed with the idea of doing one of the ends but decided against it, sat where I look at it from I think it would hide too much and the way the pipework sits I don't see them.
The pipework on my 600 will be moved to the back next time that's rescaped.
link is to my main viewing angle: https://photos.app.goo.gl/d1L9jPDYr2EPP8s19
Jurijs mit JS makes some interesting points in his recent Frosted Aquarium Background video
I went with black as it hides all of my other equipment; ATO, dosing pipes etc. Will watch the video properly when I get a chance.

I would only add one large dark coloured smooth rock
I'm tempted to plant the whole lot, let the carpet grow and see how it looks without as I don't think it would be hard to position one and get it better placed when it's grown in then just cut the carpet out. o_O

Keep the feedback coming and plant ideas are welcome here or better on the 'wild looking' thread (link above)
Andrew

Meant to ask, any plans for tree foliage?
mosses or what have you?

(I’d leave it as a scorched or barren tree :cool:
- maybe some small amounts of Riccardia chamedryfolia but then it should follow natural “lines” which is beyond my patience level :oops: )

Looks fantastic as it is! You have made a lovely soft scape, I would not put any stones in there myself just add some grass.
To be honest I have found it quite differcult to grow a uniform and complete lawn under water but it is pretty easy in an emersed situation and that is way at I would go... a dry start just with one type of grass.
Good luck with whatever you choose....

Meant to ask, any plans for tree foliage?
I am thinking about adding some type of Buce not exactly sure which yet but something with that hint of redish/purpley/silver to it, smallish leaves and quite a compact growth. - There's just too many to choose from!
I am also considering a moss but I've no experience of them so this is a possible plan when things are settled in.

I would not put any stones in there myself just add some grass
I will see what it's like when planted and can add one if I think it needs it.

I have found it quite differcult to grow a uniform and complete lawn under water but it is pretty easy in an emersed situation and that is way at I would go... a dry start just with one type of grass
I was planning to go down the drystart route so the carpet should hold the substrate in place when the filters are powered up.
I've never tried a dry start before but I did get good results when I last planted monte carlo and flooded the aquarium straight away.
You think just the one type of grass - what would you go for then?
As in my other thread I'm thinking it needs that something extra but I also want to create a 'one chop' carpet if it works.

How long have people managed to keep a carpet going before it needs ripping out and starting again?
I'm looking at this possibly lasting a little while and I find a carpet quite an easy thing to keep on top of which is what I'm after.

Well I don’t feel particularly confident talking about this type of scape and I am not sure if this style can be maintained for long periods?
If the target is to completely fill in the tank floor with a carpet plant then once that is achieved one might consider the job done and following a photo shoot the tank is re started!
The grass can be cut but it doesn’t stop growing and will eventually lift up or deteriorate in some other way.

Andrew
As you know I started a thread to see what other people thought and if I keep on top of it and hack it right back once in a while I think it can be.

Regular trimming can save a lot of work and it's far easier and looks better than one massive "Hack" when it looks bad.

Keith:wave::wave:

Back