• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Starting Over with Fluval Flex 34L (again)

Ken Loach

I took down my 34L planted Fluval Flex after a massive infestation of ramshorn snails and a huge explosion in the shrimp population.

I did a re-start with silk plants and, to be honest, they looked okay. However I’m going to get rid of them and return to real plants as the enjoyment of that side of the hobby is missing.

I had a complete plant substrate last time round (TMC NutraSoil) but this time I only have gravel so I’m going to go with plants that I know I can grow, principally Java Fern, Anubias Nana and Cryptocoryne Wendtii. My aquarium shop assures me that the Crypts will root and flourish in the gravel and the other two plants I am going to try glueing to rocks rather than using fishing line, as I have in the past.

The current population of my tank is 3 Sunset Platys, 6 Harlequins, 6 Cory Napoensis, a Bristlenose Plec of 3” who will need to be re-homed when he gets bigger, and 3 Nerite Snails. They are all doing well after 6 months and I think a change to a planted tank will be very beneficial to them.

Just make sure you give them all ferts in relation to their growth ( so less in low light and more in high light and growth)

I’ll see how they get on initially. Nitrates tend to be around 80-120ppm before weekly water change so that’ll help the plants. If I think they need it I’ll feed with Seachem Flourish Excel, which has the desirable side-effect of eliminating beard algae (for those unlucky enough to acquire it)

would add some sort of soil/ clay based substrate under gravel to help with plant rooting and health. but if you are going low tech gravel can aid with mulm but is also easily vacumed up if you get too much of it.

cant fault the jbl volcano mineral and shrimp soil. not exspensive compaired with other companies also does not need topping off with anything. just a thought

I am keeping the gravel and rocks in-situ, as the tank is already well established, and just replacing the silk plants with real ones, principally ones that don’t need to root in the substrate.

69A988A8-730C-4BDF-A466-EB5CDBFFEA6E.jpeg
Got my plants, Both potted and bunched. Couple each of Crypts, Anubias, Java Ferns, a Bucephalandra and one that I forgot the name of! Dropped them into the tank to acclimatise for a while and to see if Crypts start to melt. Finish the ‘scape off in a day or two.

C98363EF-71C8-4415-9FCC-976A0557DF3E.jpeg
Planted the tank, reasonably pleased with the result. The bunched Lobelia at the rear left may die, never had much luck with them and, hopefully, the Crypts won’t melt. Now comes the pleasure of watching the tank develop. You don’t get that with artificial plants.

Anubias and Java Fern aren’t planted in substrate but Buce is. Had one in a previous tank that was planted and it thrived.

DFC1D685-7482-4F06-98FD-8B75E9C7E26F.jpeg
Plants growing in nicely and I’ve traded in the 3 big Sunset Platys for 6 Cardinals and added another Buce and a couple of small Staurogyne.

Deep clean at the weekend, quite happy with the way things are going.

4B8A0627-16DA-4A50-98C8-E2A22CAF7F2F.png
Update, for anyone that’s interested? The big Anubias I had at the rear has completely rotted away, whether that’s a consequence of gluing, I don’t know. Neither of the Staurogyne prospered, so out they went. On the livestock side, I lost a Cardinal (expected as it only had one eye) and, unaccountably, 3 Harlequins.
However, all now seems stable and I’ll add some more Anubias Nana and Crypt Wendtii when I can get to my preferred LFS and pick some up.

44A6695D-5997-4E38-8C61-8AD79A5A1252.jpeg
Couple of larger Anubias and three Crypt Wendtii and a bit of rock added. I think I have Nerites breeding, which leaves me amazed as the water is not brackish.

Back