• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquael Turbo but which model

Cheltster

Hello people just wanted to pick your brains. Due to a minor leak and taking up space on the worktop, I'm thinking of changing my APS EF-150 for an Aquael Turbo. Being internal it won't leak and will clear the side of a big white cylinder.

My tank is 610x380x308 or 24"x15"x12".the volume being around 65 Litres. Going with the x10 rule I should need a 600l per hour output. Trouble is the Aquael comes in 500 or 1000, nothing in between.

Like this model due to the spray bar attachment and the bio/mechanical combo. Which should I go for?

Currently thinking 500,so as not to go too OTT. Open to ideas, suggestions.

I’m not familiar with internal filters you mention but I would be cautious before reducing the filter volume too much with goldies. The EF150 is a 1-2litre sponge based filter with some plastic bio-balls in it, assuming you haven’t customised it. At 400lph it might be a bit underpowered for your tank but look at the plants, if they are all swaying gently then it’s fine. The Aquael Turbo range look like shrimp filters and might not be able to handle the bio-load your fish produce as they get bigger.
That said there are lots of comments on here suggesting that in a planted tank most of the biofiltration is done by the plants so I’d be interested to hear the views of others on this.

If it was me I’d probably stick with an external filter, upgrade it if necessary, swap the bio-balls for ceramic media, add a spray bar along the back wall, fix the leaks and hide the canister. :)

I’d also keep in mind that in a year or so those fish are going to need a bigger tank. Rule of thumb for goldies is 20gallons for the first plus 10gallons for each subsequent fish that’s about 120L for two goldfish. I bought a 155L cube for my three but would go for something longer and thinner if I did it again to give them more swim space.

Hope this helps!

I have Turbo 1000, but only as mechanical filtration. I really like it, it's incredibly quiet, but it's big. I use it only when I have too many particles in water - put it in with some fine sponge for a few hours, take it out. I'm not even sure, if it will fit in a 65 litres tank.
I understand you have goldfish there waiting for their pond? If you want something cheap get the HW-302A canister filter. Right now I'm using HW-303A on my 345 litres tank and it's fantastic. Great flow, it's not completely dead silent, but the noise isn't bad. For goldfish it will be a great filter and one day you can get bigger tank and still use this filter!

Cheers guys. The goldies are just overwintering while the pond gets established and will hopefully go in the spring.

I had a 500 model on a 40 litre tank stocked with a Betta, some ricefish and some rasboras... Even with upgraded bio media it didn't do a great job and ended up being replaced.

They do give decent flow and have some interesting accessories but they can't compete with canisters. As for the 1000 model, they're colossal!

Would a HOB filter be an option of you're avoiding canisters?

Back