• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with light bulb/fitting choice!

Tucker90

Slowly setting up again after a 3 year break from the hobby enforced by the wife... apparently I can’t ski, scuba dive, and build motorcycles as well as have fish tanks... but I’ve decided I’ll prove her wrong...

I have a Ada 60p, it’s going to be as maintenance free as possible, lots of Java, Moss, Anubis and Buce’s, with lava rock and some wood for good measure! Taking huge influence from @TBRO ‘s scape.

I will have co2 via FE, and will be dosing with a basic fert routine. Nothing high tech...

I’ve recently reinforced, painted and sealed an old oak cabinet for it to sit on,

So getting to the point... my house is old, very old with industrial style modern furniture, i like the look of new and old mixed so I’m looking for a pendant light fitting such as:

408ba705272eac1c0250d61fb2d28142.jpg

Or this:

923eb6f82b646b56697662a65d8ad72a.jpg

Whatever will work best! I can and will be wiring it up safely myself. To be plugged into the wall.

Can we recommend me some bulbs/ light fittings that can be modified or used please!

Sorry for the rambling, and thanks for any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steam punk! Great I love industrial..
You could fit a Led flood light inside that shade, they are so cheap nowadays!
Probably only need a single 20w about £10 in B&Q or £30 for a better one.

20w for a 60L tank? Wouldn’t that be a bit on the low side? Or do you think I’d get away with it?!

Well you said you wanted mantainance free as possible and we all know that too much light is the main cause of algae.
However if you went for the second picture, you would have more scope to play around with Led spotlights as the come in many wattages.
From my own experience ( I have used GU10 LED light fitting over my tanks for the last 10 years) the latest generation of flood lights seem far more suited for our needs, you can even get 6500k (daylight) and upto 50w.
If you went for a rail you could stager the lights coming on and off ( just for effect) and try out diffent power bulbs in diffent spectrums.
Over my own 200l tank I have a total of 4 flood lights adding up to 90w and it looks like a space ship has landed in my lounge when they are all on.
Perhaps you need to visit a lighting super store and see what is available.

Well you said you wanted mantainance free as possible and we all know that too much light is the main cause of algae.

Yeah fair point! I just thought I’d need a little more than .3 WPL

As for the spaceship part, yeah that’s what I’m worried about! That’s why as much as I like the look of the single pendant I don’t think it’ll work as well as 3 down lighters.

So, I’ve found the light fittings, I’ve made a rail to suspend the lights above the tank, now I’m just looking for some bulbs.

I’ve found these, my knowledge on LED is terrible. I’ve always had t5’s with every tank I’ve had,

Which two of these would be eat suited for a 60L tank?

Sebson LED Light Bulb E27 30W Warm White, Replaces 150W Bulb, 2400 Lumens, Power LED, 130° Lamp https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017HKZKOG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_G-8-Bb2TXJTKV

V-TAC 15W (85W) Energy Saving Classic A65 Thermoplastic LED Bulb with Samsung chip E27 ES (Edison Screw) 4000 Kelvin Day White Non Dimmable 5 Pack https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HY17V55/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Tb9-BbA9H8JGJ

Or these:

LOHAS LED Bulb, 30W Commercial Retrofit Light Bulb, Day White 6000K, 260 Watt Equivalent E27 LED Bulb, 3400 Lumens, Perfect for Garage Warehouse Outdoor Security Light (1 Pack) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074N1RL61/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ha9-BbH5Q1KXX

Thanks for the advice guys

Last edited:
Hi all,
I just thought I’d need a little more than .3 WPL
You can't really use "watts per gallon" for LEDs, they produce a lot more PAR than a filament lamp would.

I'd look at 3 x 10W E27 lamps, ideally 4000 or 6500K, there should be lots of options in dimmable as well as non-dimmable. Non-dimmable will be ~£5 a lamp, dimmable a bit more. I wouldn't worry too much if they were 12W or 9W etc. If they are too bright I just have more floating plants, but a dimmer is a better option for most people

If you want to dim them you can get "trailing edge" dimmers specifically for LEDs.

cheers Darrel

E27 fitting is a bit bulky in size, if you like to diy than have a look at GU10 fittings.
http%3A%2F%2Fvtacledbolt.hu%2Fshop_ordered%2F29493%2Fshop_pic%2F3423.jpg

Much smaller and very popular design in led spots.
http%3A%2F%2Fwww.buyeasyonline.com%2Febay_photo%2F201407%2F21970%2F21970-3.jpg

The fittings smaller size gives you a lot more options to build into things to small for the bulky E27 fitting.

For the led spot it doesn't realy make a difference.. Even if rated AC220 volt regardles the fitting they all need a simmular internal driver/transformer.

If you want to go even smaller than consider the MR16 fitting
https%3A%2F%2Fwww.solidrop.net%2Fphoto-2%2Fmr16-lamp-holder-mr11-gu5-3-g4-lamp-holder-halogen-led-bulbs-holder-base-socket-wire-connector-socket-with10cm-cable.jpg

Also widely used for led spots..
https%3A%2F%2Fluckyretail.com%2FUploadfile%2F20161117%2F016247%2F016247.JPG

The MR16 fitted LEDs are mainly for AC/DC 12 - 24 volt.. SInce it is the same story. also these need an internal driver/transformer to drive the led.
Thus regarding led performance. it doesn't realy matter what the main power is, the output performance can be the same. a 12 watt COB led spot on mains AC220 isn't stronger tha the same COB led spot with a 12-24 volt driver.

This because regardless the mains power the led chip used maybe only needs 20 volt at 300mA, so that internal driver ramps the mains down to that.

Also could be a bit safer as DIY project hanging above an open top aqaurium with water. For your peace of mind.
In most cases also easier to controll at 12 or 24 volt. Controlling AC220 is a tad more difficult and more expensive depending on how you like to control it.

This was my own latest build using MR16 led spots.. :)
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/mr16-dc-12-volt-cob-led-spot-on-tc420.43423/

Tho must add, never updated this thread.. But i changed the setup to be controlled with a jump setting instead of fade.. The internal MR16 drivers don't always like the fading feature of the PWM controller. Jump setting means switched on immediately at 100% instead of slowly fading up. Also dimming these off factory led spots via PWM for example to 50% isn't always long term succesfull. There are ways to work around that, but it requires a different driver and some basic diy electronic knowledge..

Hi all,
Also could be a bit safer as DIY project hanging above an open top aqaurium with water. For your peace of mind.
E27 fitting is a bit bulky in size, if you like to diy than have a look at GU10 fittings.
I was going to suggest the MR16 (GU5.3) lamps, but I thought the OP had already bought an E27 fitting.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,I was going to suggest the MR16 (GU5.3) lamps, but I thought the OP had already bought an E27 fitting.

cheers Darrel

Then i must have missed that.. :) I went with TT "Help with bulb fitting choice".. :)

Btw i red Old industrial style combined with modern designs and steampunk comming by.. Just an idea maybe for ispiration, this might be something..

Actualy very easy to make with readily availble material and not realy expensive too.. But than for the trendy touch with LED spots instead and adjustable cable mount to the ceiling.
industriele-hanglamp-brock-5-lamps-z-44-2917-1.jpg

Btw i red Old industrial style combined with modern designs and steampunk comming by.. Just an idea maybe for ispiration, this might be something..

Actualy very easy to make with readily availble material and not realy expensive too.. But than for the trendy touch with LED spots instead and adjustable cable mount to the ceiling.
industriele-hanglamp-brock-5-lamps-z-44-2917-1.jpg

This is kinda the idea!

I’ve come away from the idea of hanging it from the ceiling due to the location in my house and the fact my curling is 260 years old lath and plaster with horse hair

I used to be a plumber so have all the tackle to thread steel and bend it! So think I’m gonna make something up to attached to the oak cabinet I’ve restored.

Can’t decide between copper or steel at the moment!

Thanks to everyone who has given me advice, really appreciate it! Sorry I haven’t replied to everyone!

I think due to the style of fixture I’m making I’m gonna stick with 2 MR e27 equating to 40w at 6000k

I’ve got a fire extinguisher and my old co2 art reg, so low maintenance has gone out the window...

Funny :) me too, once was a plumber by education, more worked in the piping part of the automatic control engineering. But anyway a pipe is a pipe it aint that much difference..

If you decide on E27 fitting than take a peek here.
https://www.banggood.com/E26E27-Ret...amp-Holder-Socket-With-Switch-p-1140754.html?
See the copper plated version if you like to go for copper.. But steel frame work and brass plated fittings also can look cool.
I've used a few of them from this seller and they are very solid and heavy quality. A very good buy for that price.. These have a turn switch build in, also come without switch if you like.

The rest of the sizes of these fittings are universaly metric. The thread is normal M10x1 pitch.. To mount them in place you could use the Brass M10x1 threaded rod extension nippels These are 12mm outside diameter.. Perfectly to solder into a 12mm brass or copper pipe fitting. Than simply screw 'm in with a piece of M10x1 threaded pipe. For a rock solid connection. :thumbup:

Darn plummers build a house with a pair of pliers and a hammer.. :rolleyes:

Darn plummers build a house with a pair of pliers and a hammer.. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I’m in the aerospace industry now, so slightly different but you never forget your roots!

I was a commercial gas fitter spent most my time using steel.
I’ve made a few lamps using them fittings before! They’re good! Just concerned about moisture!

I’ll figure something out!

Back