• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reborn

Fábio

Hello
This is my new aquarium.
After being away from the world of aquariums due to having been operated on the eyes I returned to another assembly.
This aquarium will not be for contest.
It will be to keep at home, calmly and without stress.
Try to do things as slowly as possible and patience.
At the moment I have some fish in another aquarium and I will only add the Otos 1 week later and the camanoes amano 2 to 3 weeks for the soil to compact a little more.
I hope you like it = D

Setup:

Aquarium
90x45x45cm

Filter
Eheim professional 4+350

Heater
Eheim jager 200W

CO2
pressurizado - 4b/s

CO2
Neo

Lights
Twinstar 900SP - a 60% in 1º week ( increasing 10% each week until reaching 100%)

Substract
Équo
3 bags NEO SOil Plants

Hardscape
Ryuoh Stone 35Kg +/-

Plants
ROTALA BONSAI
ALTERNANTHERA REINECKII MINI
MICRANTHEMUM MONTE CARLO
ELEOCHARIS ACICULARIS MINI
ROTALA WALLICHII
ROTALA SP. GREEN
ROTALA ROTUNDIFOLIA
Rotala 'Vietnam
STAUROGYNE REPENS
Anubias Pangolino
ANUBIA NANA
ANUBIA
Bucephalandra deep purple/ RED E GREEN
HYGROPHILA PINNATIFIDA
CRYPTO PARVA
CRYPTO UNDULATA

Fishes

9 - Otocinclus Affinis

18 - Hemigrammus Erythrozonus

2 - couple Rams

Invertebrates

9 - Caridina Multidentata - Japonica

2 - Neritina Pulligera

aqua1.JPG

aqua2.JPG
aqua3.JPG
aqua4.JPG
aqua5.JPG
aqua6.JPG

hi

I have a problem with monte carlo and eleocharis.
They are melting. but I have co2 and light.
I increased to 70% light and lowered the light 2cm. before it was 20cm.
CO2 is at 4 bubbles/s and photoperiod is already at 8h.
Leaves are transparent or yellow. eleocharis is white and yellow.
The monte carlo is emerged and may be some form of adaptation but the eleocharis is in-vitro so I do not know what can be.
Maybe potassium and micros?
The aquarium has just over a week with NeoSoil substrate.
So I do not think he miss some macros.
Should I dose Step1 and K of the ADA?

Thank you

Hi
Back in the day I had similar issue with HC and eleocharis in a new setup with ADA amasonia with ADA additives plus step1 and Brighty K from ADA as fertilisers .Plants were melting roots first going mushy towards the tips in few days.
I just put an airstone at night and the melt stopped straight away .Probably sth to do with lack of bacteria and micro flora in substrate plus lack of oxygen as back in the day was belived that there should be zero surface agitation to preserve CO2 in water.The 1-2 grow plants are a bit more fragile than the normal potted ones as they are much younger plants with less reserves in them.
I doubt it is nutrient related.
Regards Konsa

Hi konsa

thanks. i dont have much agitation on surface because i want prevent CO2 so maybe is this. i need oxynate the water a little more.
At night I raise the filter output.
Would it be wise to put potassium for a better assimilation of nutrients? ADA K? maybe 4 pumps.
Rotalas are great but monte carlo and eleocharis dont.
The lack of nutrient really can not be. At least macro nutrients. and micros? Do not fertilize?
Even with just potassium?

Thank you

Hi
I am not familiar with the Neo soil nutrient content.Your plants are still adjusting .Plants are making their own food via photosynthesis the fertiliser is just suplement that helps not food.As I said I dont think is nutrient related but for your own peace of mind dose away.ADA fertiliser system is quite lean so dose according their instructions if U have bought the ferts already.The main thing is to get the various bacteria gowing in substrate and for that U need good O2 levels .
In my tank the only plants out of 15 species that were effected were the two carpeting ones all others were very good.
Regards Konsa

If it were me I'd have eased that photo period down rather than up at this point. Give the plants chance to settle in to their new environment. Maybe went a bit high to early?

hi I'm doing what the logist told me. Do not fertilize and in the 2nd week increase light for 8h and water changes every 2 days. But I've lost the bonsai tree and Monte Carlo and eleocharis go the same way. I know the aquarium smells of macro nutrients. But maybe Step1 and K can help improve the plants. I already have the fertilizers from the old plant. Better to use or not?
Thank you

I've been trying to find your substrate but can't find anything other than something by the same name which goes under the gravel. Can't tell if that releases nutrients. What else do you dose? Generally speaking if you increase the light you increase the demand for fertiliser so if you have a fertiliser issue increasing the light won't help.

The plants are still fairly new as well so not fully settled in, usually plants melting is a co2 issue especially if they were tissue culture. Either way reducing the lighting will take the pressure off the plants until you sort out what the issue is.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

Here is the substrate link:
http://aquario.co.kr/en-goods-compactsoilplants.php?ckattempt=1

So the solution would be to reduce the photoperiod to 7h until the plants adapt themselves right? Meanwhile I can go fertilizing with Step1 and K to help in the right development?

Remembering that it is not lacking in macros and the micros are just dosing to give a boost. Right?
Or just cut down the photoperiod and not fertilize?

It's hard to tell right now my friend, I managed to find the substrate although that link isn't working for me. Is this it? http://www.aquario.co.kr/en-goods-compactsoilplants.php

From what I can make out there it contains "no fertiliser" but not sure if it has some ammonia. It seems to be saying that it's very absorbent so will absorb nutrients from the water column and also act as a home for bacteria.

I'm also not too familiar with ADA products but my understanding is that step 1 is just trace elements so so far unless someone with more knowledge of this wants to jump in I can't see where your macros are coming from.

I would say you need to look at some ferts that contain all the traces, magnesium, nitrate, phosphate and potassium. Either way until you get some clarity and bottom this out I would get the light back to 6.5 hours for now or 7 and raise the height. I suspect the plants might not have any food right now so pushing up with the light will make the situation worse.

What other ferts do you have? Do you have other ADA ferts as well as step one?

I have all ferts from ADA, Step2,Bringhty K, Step1, green brighty special lights,green brighty special shadows and eca.
Wednesday I get the Kno3, PO4 and PH tests. I need to know some parameters of this aquarium.

I think the issue may be that ADA nutrients are quite lean or mostly nitrate and phosphate free , the nutrients are mainly in the ADA soil which you aren't using. As well as the lighting advice also start dosing the K and Step1.

Have you not dosed any fertiliser at all in this tank yet?

So far I have not fertilized with anything.
has already reduced the photoperiod to 6.5h. So, better start fertilizing with Step1 and K right?

Definitely buddy. I've never really looked into ADA ferts because they've always been outside my price range so I've had an interesting evening looking into them.

Looks like...

Step 1 is traces
Step 2 is traces + iron
Step 3 is traces + iron + potassium
Green lights looks like it has it all including n + p
Shade can't really work out what the difference would be!

Me, I think I would just be skipping to Green lights with your setup but I would see if you can find out more about your substrate. I think how ADA works is that the substrate is loaded up with nutrients like Nitrate and Phosphate from the start which is probably why early on you only add traces then adding traces, iron and potassium has they deplete moving on to Green lights which has n and p as this depletes a lot much later on.

If your substrate has no N and P and no fish load adding any through waste with your lighting and injecting co2 it wouldn't take much too start running out early on other than the initial bit added from the cycling process.

Turning down the light and starting to dose is definitely going in the right direction.

The seller said that during the first 3 months it would not be necessary to fertilize because the substrate would give the plants what they need. I just think it's strange the plants are deprived at this point. Okay, it may be an adaptation period, but it's pretty weird.
I need to get the tests on Wednesday. I'm fertilizing with Step1 and K tomorrow.

Lets see.

Maybe the substrate is mate, some substrate comes pre loaded with Ammonia which leaches out when you first start the tank. This helps start the Nitrogen cycle so you can run without fish and as the filter matures converts this to Nitrate so initially the plants have access to some Ammonia and Nitrate so you wouldn't have to dose any to start with. On the website for the soil it says the following.

soil.png

If you are carrying out water changes every few days and the soil isn't adding anything if your fresh water contains no Nitrates I don't think it would be long before there wasn't anything in there. As well as the plants are still getting established. Plants may have found themselves in a position where they were grown out of water and melting back as they adapt to underwater life, no Nitrogen to speak of and getting pounded with light which is never a good recipe in the first few months.

So it is the adaptation of the plants that was already suspected.
And my water probably does not have any great nutrients.
I know the water has PH 7 but the NO3 and the PO4 I think were always zero or close to that.
Would not adding the micros help the development of the plant?

Already the photoperiod is reduced to 6.5h.
Do I really fertilize with micros? Step1 and K?
Or should I wait?

Remembering that I've lost the bonsai tree. to monte carlo and eleocharis then to get quite bad.

The other stem plants are good and growing.

What is the possibility that the stem plants are consuming the few nutrients that my water has and not leaving it to other plants?

Yesterday when I laid out the Step1 and K (5pumps) I saw the monte carlo to do perling and the stem plants and anubias as well.

So I do not know what to do.

Back