• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External Canister - Calm Cover ?

george29

Hi,

We have a new Eheim Ecco pro 2034 canister filter which works fine flow wise, if its lifted up by hand its quietish with only a little whirring sound from the impeller, but place it inside the under tank cabinet and it resonates quiet loudly.

The little rubber feet have been fitted to the base of the canister and its now two months old and fully settled in.

Tried using various underfelts and rubber products around and under it, but surprisingly little effect.

The noise kind of goes against the calm of a planted tank and being a smallish room its not something you can sit away from.

Has anyone made an effective cover to place around such filters to stop this resonating effect ?

You could try to put a bag filled with sand under the canister combined with a flexible weight (ie a "jute"-ricebag) on top of the filter to weigh it down.

I don't know if the ecco pro will react the same but I have a eheim 2217 running completely silent with a bag of rice on top (filter is placed next to cabinet on stone floor to avoid resonating cabinet).
When i remove the bag the pumphead starts humming immediately.
Hope it helps...

if there’s enough space in the cabinet then you could try rockwool.

Thanks, have used rockwool and acoustic rockwool slabs around the house cavities etc but think they would be a bit impractical in a small cabinet.

You could try to put a bag filled with sand under the canister combined with a flexible weight (ie a "jute"-ricebag) on top of the filter to weigh it down.

I don't know if the ecco pro will react the same but I have a eheim 2217 running completely silent with a bag of rice on top (filter is placed next to cabinet on stone floor to avoid resonating cabinet).
When i remove the bag the pumphead starts humming immediately.
Hope it helps...

Thanks, worth a try ! :)

Wondering if it’s the filter? I’ve got 3 Eheim filters including an Ecco Pro and all are very quiet? Does it do it when placed on a solid floor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back