• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Finally , I have Choco's ...

jayp

Finally after over 12 months looking for healthy ones ...I have 9 , they are stunning and i'm very chuffed.
Had them about 6 weeks and all good so far
choco 1.jpg
choco.jpg

Lovely fish, quite the micro predators. Live daphnia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The posted photos are female
Any males?

Note they are quite the jumpers, be careful of startling them - especially with activity near the tank in the middle of the night :oops:

They’re also prone to internal bacterial infections but don’t mind large water changes at all - though they’ll usually hide initially - once settled, expect them to attack the syphon tube :wideyed:

Tank details?

Lovely fish, quite the micro predators. Live daphnia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are fed live food from my pond, surprising how much is still there in winter , plus frozen bloodworms

The posted photos are female
Any males?

Note they are quite the jumpers, be careful of startling them - especially with activity near the tank in the middle of the night :oops:

They’re also prone to internal bacterial infections but don’t mind large water changes at all - though they’ll usually hide initially - once settled, expect them to attack the syphon tube :wideyed:

Tank details?
TBH I thought they were males as they are such good colours and frequently display .
Yes the tank has glass covers as ive lost gouramis before
60x45x45
Eheim pick up filter
Temp 24 degrees
Chihrio A series LED

40% water changes weekly …. rain water , re-mineralised with Discus minerals

Sand over soil substrate

They are out all the time and feed from the hand …. any messing in the tank though and they hide for a while

choco tank.jpg

Most S osphromenoides show little colour or activity difference between male/female - though I had one group that was very distinct with mature males displaying extraordinary purples and greens in the fins and body ..... unfortunately this group was also extremely aggressive once the 2-3 females reached breeding age (there were 16 boys so you can likely guess the rest)

Sexing is done by the slight fullness of the throat area (females or males depending upon who’s the mouthbrooder in the species)

Tanks sounds grand and not having to share tank space with tankmates is usually their preference - they really need to be the star for long term success

Most S osphromenoides show little colour or activity difference between male/female - though I had one group that was very distinct with mature males displaying extraordinary purples and greens in the fins and body ..... unfortunately this group was also extremely aggressive once the 2-3 females reached breeding age (there were 16 boys so you can likely guess the rest)

Sexing is done by the slight fullness of the throat area (females or males depending upon who’s the mouthbrooder in the species)

Tanks sounds grand and not having to share tank space with tankmates is usually their preference - they really need to be the star for long term success

Thanks so much for that info Alto ive never kept them for that long before so im learning their behaviour etc
…. tank still has some more plant coverage to grow in at the back , but the water is super for them. They do share with 4 Liquorice Gourami ...var. Linkeii but they ignore each other . In fact they are out much more and displaying since the Choco's were added.

Most Parosphromenous species should be fine, I’d try to add a couple more Choco’s if possible

For plants I usually find that with some nice thickets + open swimming area, you’ll see them out and about a great deal

They should be quite energetic, enthusiastic eaters (much more so than S vaillanti)
A broody pair will become quite reclusive and may display consistent aggression towards any fish entering their territory
In my experience they form a strong pair bond, but others have reported no obvious signs of a “pair”

If you notice the colony suddenly becoming much shyer, this usually indicates poor health or stress - always begin with increased water changes before any medications

Most Parosphromenous species should be fine, I’d try to add a couple more Choco’s if possible

I will keep a look out in same LFS as they were kind enough to Quarantine them for me for 3 weeks

Do hope iv'e got a pair !!

They should be quite energetic, enthusiastic eaters (much more so than S vaillanti)

Alto, Can I ask your recommended feeding regime please ? Mine are always looking for food , I feed live food everyday from my pond, springtails, daphnia, anything else moving LOL But they still seem hungry, I also feed frozen mini bloodworm, mosquito larvae, Mysis and tubifex. They eat everything but im concerned I might be feeding too much protein … should they have dried food as well ? If so which did you find best ?
Thanks Jan

Back