• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Will my rams eat my shrimp.

Lee iley

Hi guys,

Just bought a pair of rams today. Just wondering if they will eat my cherrys or amano shrimp. The lady I asked said they won't. But they are just after a sale. I managed to get a shot of one of them because when I got them the description just said rams. Didn't say which type of ram and she didn't know. The other ram is a light grey colour I think that on is the male. And this one is the female. Any help would be great thanks.

Attachments

• 20181226_165852.jpg
    20181226_165852.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,825
Hi
Cherry Shrimp yes or at least the little ones.
Amano no.
It may work if cherries have hiding spots.

Regards Konsa

Hi guys,

Just bought a pair of rams today. Just wondering if they will eat my cherrys or amano shrimp. The lady I asked said they won't. But they are just after a sale. I managed to get a shot of one of them because when I got them the description just said rams. Didn't say which type of ram and she didn't know. The other ram is a light grey colour I think that on is the male. And this one is the female. Any help would be great thanks.

Hi Lee, that looks like a German Gold Ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) to me mate :)

Thank you for that. I have managed to get a pic of the other one aswel. Will they eat my shrimp?

Attachments

• 20181226_172127.jpg
    20181226_172127.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,069
Hi
Cherry Shrimp yes or at least the little ones.
Amano no.
It may work if cherries have hiding spots.

Regards Konsa
I was hoping they would leave my cherrys alone. I have a really good colony of shrimp going now. Any ways around this I have lots of moss and hiding spots were all my small cherrys hide out.

Basically anything that can fit a shrimp in its mouth will eat them. Amanos and adult cherries will probably be ok. Some juveniles will probably get eaten if they are out in the open.

Here a few pics of my tank to see if there are enough hiding spaces for my baby cherrys. I have a load of neons they can fit my baby cheerys in there mouths. But they don't bother with them.

Attachments

• 20181226_173557.jpg
    20181226_173557.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,120
  • 20181226_173554.jpg
    20181226_173554.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,028
  • 20181226_173546.jpg
    20181226_173546.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 1,101
Yes, that looks like a gold Ram. I wouldn't like to say whether it was German or Far Eastern bred from looking at it :)
Whether they bother your shrimps may depend on their individual personality, cichlids can vary a lot. But with plenty of cover I would guess they will probably be OK.

My Rams are shrimp killers. Cherry’s for sure will die. Not seen them touch Amanos. My tank has a lot of moss/cover but they hunt methodically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm
My Rams are shrimp killers. Cherry’s for sure will die. Not seen them touch Amanos. My tank has a lot of moss/cover but they hunt methodically.

Keeping a close eye on them they don't seem to be bothering the bigger cherrys. But they are trying to have a pop at my baby ones.

That’s how they get the taste for blood! I have two female Rams and a pair of Nanocarra annomala and they hunt like a pack. Flushing out shrimp from dense plants. I’m trying to rescue those I can to my new tank.

That’s how they get the taste for blood! I have two female Rams and a pair of Nanocarra annomala and they hunt like a pack. Flushing out shrimp from dense plants. I’m trying to rescue those I can to my new tank.

Will they wipe my cherry colony out I have about 150 of them at the min. Gutted now really because I love the rams, but also love my shrimp. Will these rams pair up and mate.

Hi
Perfect excuse to setup a shrimp nano as soon as possible ;)
Rams are very prolific breeders when young and slow down as they age.If U have male and female U will most likely get some spawning going.
Regards Konsa

I have a mature golden ram. Looks very similar.

If you have a good number of shrimp it’s likely they will still outbread to rate at which they get eaten.

My two rams and apistos like the have a pop at the smaller cherries, especially if out in the open. They don’t usually hassle the larger ones - although this fella didn’t have a good time.

I have a mature golden ram. Looks very similar.

If you have a good number of shrimp it’s likely they will still outbread to rate at which they get eaten.

My two rams and apistos like the have a pop at the smaller cherries, especially if out in the open. They don’t usually hassle the larger ones - although this fella didn’t have a good time.

Poor little guy. They had a right go at him. Is that how large the rams grow to full adulthood?

Hi
Perfect excuse to setup a shrimp nano as soon as possible ;)
Rams are very prolific breeders when young and slow down as they age.If U have male and female U will most likely get some spawning going.
Regards Konsa
I was thinking of a shrimp only tank. A little nano type one. Do my rams look female and male or are they both the same sex?

Hi
tbh can't tell as they are pretty washed out on the pics.Give them time to settle and when they colour up take few more pics.
Regards Konsa

Poor little guy. They had a right go at him. Is that how large the rams grow to full adulthood?

I’m no expert but I think they’re pretty much full size now. I noticed some in the local fish shop a few weeks ago and they were tiny.

Back