• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Crypt problem...

Niton

Can anyone suggest what may be causing the problems shown in the attached photographs?

Basically, it seems like my crpyts have started melting drastically on what have been previously established plants with lots of new growth.

The only trigger I can think of is that I had a co2 overdose a few days ago. I had noticed some melt before that event though so I'm not convinced this is the cause.

Can anyone also suggest any remedies?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20181227_103228.jpg
    IMG_20181227_103228.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 185
  • IMG_20181227_103242.jpg
    IMG_20181227_103242.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 115
I'm the same. My crypts always melt then grow back. Aslong there is new growth coming through.

crpyts have started melting
Does happen when parameters change, including increased light or changes in nutrients. I view these plants as evergreens that shed their leaves to make way for new growth. Even if you get complete die back , they will re-grow from the base or from root runners. In dense stands of these plants leaf melt is not even noticed.

My observation of Cryptocoryne Lutea var. Hobbit (large culture pot) was that it transitioned well to a high light, high CO2 tank, and melted in a different medium light, low CO2 tank. I suspected initially that pruning the roots was the primary factor. The affected tank had an older substrate just past it's month first cycle, which held many nematodes and probably a greater abundance of bacteria. I suggest it would be well worth taking a sample under a microscope if anybody is interested, unless we can rule this out. Yours look fine in my opinion - so I would not worry.

Back