• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

30l tank lighting

Darren Carter

Hi guys I’m looking at getting a light for my 30l tank the measurements of tank are 30x30x30cm I have narrowed my choice to two lights but I don’t no what one to go for I’m planning on growing montecarlo java fern java moss water wisteria and Anubias in there but I’m stuck between the fluva nano plant 3.0 or the aquael Leddy smart plant not too fussed on the money costs just I want one that’s going to be beneficial to the tank any one advice

Hi Darren, I don’t have experience with either of the lights you’ve mentioned, but I’ve set up a tank with Anubias, crypts, buces, Monte Carlo and Bolbitus - all Easy plants according to Tropica or Aquafleur.

I’ve dropped the light level on the LED I have to just 2 out of 24 and I’m adding CO2 at 2 bubbles per second into a 150 litre tank.

I struggled a lot with hair algae when lights were set at 6 out of 24 and no CO2. Light level was definitely driving need for carbon, meaning plants were unhealthy.

Since dropping the light intensity, plants putting on new growth and algae issue much better.

I guess what I’m saying is that whichever light you go for, being able to control the light intensity is crucial and you may be best to start close to the lowest setting with Easy plants.

Andy

I'm running the Aquael Leddy 2 Plant on my 10 gallon and it's the best cheap light I've ever owned, very nice color rendition for something so cheap. The original Leddy only has white leds but the second version has red leds as well, make sure to get the second version if you decide on getting one.

Both will work to grow plants you want... I've the Leddy over a 30cm cube (came with the tank) and the strip version of the fluval on a bigger tank. The leddy is a nice size/design and works just fine but it is just switch on/off, so you'll want to add a timer. The fluval gives you a lot more flexibility in terms of brightness, colour, ramping up gradually etc. which can be handy for managing the amount of light i.e. you can dim if you have algae issues rather than shorting the lighting period.

If you just want a basic on/off go for the Leddy, if the extra functions appeal then the fluval.

Hi guys I’m looking at getting a light for my 30l tank the measurements of tank are 30x30x30cm I have narrowed my choice to two lights but I don’t no what one to go for I’m planning on growing montecarlo java fern java moss water wisteria and Anubias in there but I’m stuck between the fluva nano plant 3.0 or the aquael Leddy smart plant not too fussed on the money costs just I want one that’s going to be beneficial to the tank any one advice

I've got a Twinstar 300e coming up for sale this week. I'll be shutting the tank down that it's on in the next few days, let me know if you're interested.

Oscar :)

Back