• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cloudy sky

How is the Manzanita fastened down? I screwed mine to a piece of slate with some stainless screws and it still keeps falling over.
Exactly the way you describe; a piece of slate with a SS screw through it and into the wood - I have used some silicone but don't think it's really doing a lot. If it keeps falling over then I'd suggest using a bigger piece (footprint) of slate. If you're still struggling then drop me a PM.

After, unsoaked tends to float:rolleyes:
It's not tried to float which is a relief; I think the combined weight of the slate it's fixed to then the lava rock & soil on top has kept it in place. :thumbup:
That's quite striking; looking very arty and minimalistic. I quite like it, especially the way you've sloped the soil. Good growth as well compared to when it was first planted.
Thanks Tim, hopefully when it's grown it it will be easy enough to keep trimmed and I can play around with adding a few different plants in and amongst things, i can also think about adding a few buces to the tree although i actuallly quite like it naked.

I had a larger piece of slate before I rescapped but it was really irritating as it stopped me planting anything large close to the wood. Definitely gone too small this time around.

The piece of slate isn't that big; the picture below should give you an idea. I think it might be 150×150mm but certainly no bigger.

20181101_142323.jpg

I've also realised I haven't put the photos of my journey to eliminate the fungus.................
I knew it wouldn't be easy to get the piece of wood and slate out, especially with the volcano mineral under the soil.
A bit of plastic shuttering helped to stop things from collapsing in completely.
20181214_114011.jpg

I got the wood out eventually; gave it a scrub, put it back in place and covered it back over with volcano mineral.
20181214_114805.jpg

Put some soil back on top and got it back to looking roughly as it did before.
20181214_115455.jpg

The reason I decided to try the DSM was I thought the soil stood no chance of staying in place with the slopes I had. I put some tape roughly where the top of the soil was to see how much things moved and (very) slowly and nervously started to add some water :nailbiting: much to my surprise things stayed in place :)
20181214_122000.jpg

Then it was time to start some gentle filtration :nailbiting::nailbiting:; I used the spraybar that came with the Oase as I was waiting for my glassware to arrive and again much to my surprise it still all stayed in place. :):)
20181214_150803.jpg

I added a few more plants in and things have settled down.
20181221_172001.jpg

Just over a week has passed and the soil is still in place; I think I owe a lot of that to the JBL volcano mineral underneath the soil.
Some of the glassware has arrived so I've fitted that in place, I do plan to add another filter and skimmer attachment in the long run.
20181223_122329.jpg

Andrew

Have you thought about the inhabitants? On point to remember there is no over head cover for what every you are thinking about. Unless you are going to grow plants on the tree branches.

Keith:wave::wave:

Andrew

Have you thought about the inhabitants? On point to remember there is no over head cover for what every you are thinking about. Unless you are going to grow plants on the tree branches.

Hi Keith,
I've not settled on inhabitants yet; I'm going to end up closing my 600 down by the looks of things and I have some diamond tetra in there so I might move them over.
I'm now liking the look so far without any stone but am wondering how any shrimp in there will like it with no stone to help with shedding.
I will probably put some buces on the tree branches but I want to let it grow out and get the first trim done before I decide.

Andrew

wondering how any shrimp in there will like it with no stone to help with shedding.

I never had any stones when I had my shrimps and never a concern. A shrimp breeder would be the best to answer that for you as a double check.

Looking lush! Good meadow, perhaps a few accent plants around the tree trunk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking lush! Good meadow, perhaps a few accent plants around the tree trunk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I want to let the HC grow in fully befor I add anything else and am probably going to remove the Eleocharis mini until it has grown in fully.
I have some Rotala Bonsai ready in the propagator, will add the Eleocharis back in then see how that gets along together; looking for an almost 1 chop carpet.
Thinking about adding something else in but also thinking the tree when/if planted might do enough on its own.
As always open to suggestions, I would like to make this something easy to maintain though.

That is very minimalistic but it looks great.

I coulnd't resist to add some
Stones on the base of the tree if that was my scape though.

Good growth!

That is very minimalistic but it looks great.

I coulnd't resist to add some
Stones on the base of the tree if that was my scape though.

Good growth!
I quite like the minimalist look; I'm unsure what else I will be adding yet and think it could soon be changed from looking minimalistic to busy and a large amount of that will be down to what I decide to plant on the tree.
I've not completely ruled stones out but it's looking more doubtful.

Update......................
I had to abandon things due to a trip to hospital. I've just got back and things aren't looking too good but I will start working on things next week hopefully.
Lights off, CO2 off, no ferts and this is what's happened. Fungus from the wood has made its way around the tank and the HC has been growing up instead of out, hopefully I can still save things.

20190112_094856.jpg
20190112_094900.jpg
20190112_094908.jpg

Back