• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ID and recommendations

Django

Aquarium: Juwel Rio 180l
Standard 2x45w Juwel t5 light
Pressurized co2
80/20 RO/tapwater
TDS: 196 1. Day after 50% ex with 80% diy EI fertilizer regime...have not tested how TDS change over the course of the week with ei.

Animals: 30rcs now, future will have 20 neon tetra, 10-15 otocinclus affinis, and a pair or trio Apistogramma ,indecisive on spesies

I do not know much about plant id...I know the Java fern, the crypt. nana. Flame moss. The rest is a 25euro assorted plant pack without any popular name or scientific name...I prefer scientific names as I am pretty used to using that from landscaping and herpetology.

Been running almost 4weeks...3weeks with co2

IMG_20190107_174852.jpg

Overview

IMG_20190107_174902.jpg

Pic.1
IMG_20190107_174915.jpg

Pic2: with a few RCS
IMG_20190107_174921.jpg

Pic3: Just left of the valli
IMG_20190107_174933.jpg

Pic4: right from the valli, a fine leafed plant that I really like
IMG_20190107_174941.jpg

Pic5 thought it was a grass but the widening of the leaf ends got me wondering
IMG_20190107_175002.jpg

Pic6 maybe alternantha?
IMG_20190107_175009.jpg

Pic7
IMG_20190107_175014.jpg

Pic8 semi low 8-10cm, was hoping it would stay lower for foreground, but kept in the back now
IMG_20190107_175024.jpg

Pic9 a funny salad or fern like plant with very varied leaf form, hoping it will all turn fingered

Suggestions for plants and changes are welcome...

1/ Limnophila sessiliflora.
2/ Helanthium tenellum tenellum.
3/ Lysimachia numullaria.
4/ Hygropbila sp.
5/ Lillaeopsis brassiliensis or mauritiana.
6/ Ludwigia repens.
7/ Egeria densa.
8/ Alternanthera reineckii.
9/ Ceratopteris cornuta.

1/ Limnophila sessiliflora.
2/ Helanthium tenellum tenellum.
3/ Lysimachia numullaria.
4/ Hygropbila sp.
5/ Lillaeopsis brassiliensis or mauritiana.
6/ Ludwigia repens.
7/ Egeria densa.
8/ Alternanthera reineckii.
9/ Ceratopteris cornuta.
You are a darling...

The one in front of the Ludvigia repens looking alittle like Egernia densa but with smaller and rather hard leafs...I forgot that before...

Could be they are closely related and often difficult to tell apart, and there is thought to be some hybridisation between the two. But I also think there is some morphological variation within each species as well.

ahh think one is E.najas and the other E.densa
I think you are right.
The E. najas in trade, usually has toothed edges of the leaves - the E. densa has usually not. Both types are traded commercially.. .... often named incorrect.
- and yes, there are variations in different "strains" of this plant.
If leaves are that "hard" it could be Lagarosiphon major, but this plant was very rare in trade - and is now on the EU list of invasive plants, illegal to sell and own. I really do not think it is Lagarosiphon, though. Lagarosiphon madagascariensis, I think is still legal and was often used by Takashi amano.

Last edited:
The Ceratopteris cornuta I found out would be C.thalictroides, how do I get it to go the frilled leafs rather than the salad like leafs?

The Ceratopteris cornuta I found out would be C.thalictroides, how do I get it to go the frilled leafs rather than the salad like leafs?
........you grow it out of water :) (the frilled leaves are the original emerse ones - the "salad" ones are the submerse ones.) Both C. Thall. and C. Corn. grow frilled leaves above water, but C. thall. usually grow less broad leaf-plates than C. corn. under water. The C. corn. grow happily without added CO2 and produces myriades of offspring, whereas the C. thsll. usually need a bit of added CO2 to perform well. All in all, I still think your plant is C. cornuta.

Ok...hmmm i wanted the frilled ones submersed, think I saw pics of that...
Dealer only list thalictroides and not cornuta, but it would not be the first time a plant dealer is wrong

Ahhh...the place I bought from got Lagarosiphon major on their plant list
Then do a check, as best you can. Living here in Denmark means it would be illegal to own Lagarosiphon major. Should you choose to go "illegal" and keep Lagarosiphon major, then at least be very carefull, where you throw away trimmings and waste. .. .....

Ok...hmmm i wanted the frilled ones submersed, think I saw pics of that...
Dealer only list thalictroides and not cornuta, but it would not be the first time a plant dealer is wrong
You can grow (relatively) frilled leaves from C. Thall. if you provide added CO2 and quite high level of light. It will grow surprisingly big, surprisingly fast, though :)

Back