• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jungle Slice - 100l High tech

scapegoat

Hi, here's the journal for my latest tank.

It's been a few years since I set up a hi-tech tank so I've had a to do a lot of refreshing and catching up. This will be my 3rd set up over the past 8 years and as with the previous tanks nearly all the knowledge I've applied has come from this forum. Hoping and preying that with the correct knowledge and equipment I can avoid an algae forest!

Tank:
Aquascaper 600
Gloss white cabinet

Lighting:
AI Prime HD Freshwater (white)

Filter:
Tetra EX1200 Plus
Stainless steel pipework with Skimmer

CO2:
2.5kg extinguisher
UP regulator
inline diffuser

tank.jpg

tank 2.jpg

The silver trim on the cabinet ties in nicely with the pipework and light bracket.

Plants:
Dwarf hairgrass 'mini' 1-2 grow! x5
Marsilea Crenata 1-2 grow! x4
Weeping moss x2
Bolbitis difformis in vitro
Pearl moss tissue culture
Staurogyne repens 1-2 grow!
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Pogostemon Helferi
Cryptocoryne Beckettii 'Petchii'
Java fern trident 2x
Java fern mini 2x
Java fern narrow
Bolbitis heudelotii
Bucephalandra theia
Bucephalandra wavy green
Bucephalandra red
Anubias Pangolino
Anubias petit 2x
Cryptocoryne Balansae
Rotala rotundifolia
Ludwigia sp. mini super red
Pogostemon stellata

later addition:
Hygrophila pinnatifida 1-2 grow!
Cryptocoryne pygmaea Tissue Culture

planted 2.jpg
planted 3.jpg
planted.jpg

I like the messy/natural jungle look so wanted the plants reasonably mixed to blend with areas of Marsilea cutting through the hairgrass and hopefully mingling in once grown in.

flooded.jpg

week 1

So far so good. Hairgrass seems to be taking nicely.

Due to the filter and heater coming from an already set up aquarium the fish were introduced immediately with an Evolution Aqua Pure aquarium bomb along with a mature filter.

1 week 2.jpg
1 week 3.jpg
1 week.jpg

10 days

Hairgrass starting to fill out, emersed Marsilea growth sending runners through substrate and starting to turn brown on top.

This is the point I realised I'd made a massive mistake tying all the moss on with cotton. First few bits of moss start to drop off as the cotton disintegrates.

2 weeks.jpg

18 days

All the moss apart from the top section has now fallen off. Diatoms blooming everywhere. Hairgrass thickening up while ferns seem to be doing nothing.
2.5 weeks.jpg

23 days (better camera)

Finally dug out my camera so no more phone pics :)

Hairgrass getting long now! Diatoms in full swing. Some moss tied back on and some BGA appearing on moss. Rotala going crazy!

IMG_1196.JPG
IMG_1199.JPG
IMG_1200.JPG

4 weeks - (pre trim)
IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

IMG_1214.JPG
IMG_1215.JPG
IMG_1219.JPG
IMG_1220.JPG
IMG_1228.JPG

IMG_1229.JPG

IMG_1217.JPG

BGA taking hold on the moss by the water surface. Whenever I try to remove it small bits drop off and get caught in the hairgrass. If anyone has any advice it would be muchly appreciated. Flow and Nitrates seem to be fine.

Overall pretty happy with how things have gone.

My main concern is the BGA that is neither going or increasing in mass. The place where it appears is in good flow and nitrate levels seem to be fine.

Also hopefully my photography will get better with practice, any advice on that would be greatly appreciated!

Back