• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ID and recommendations

Hi all,
the place I bought from got Lagarosiphon major on their plant list
The plant, with the down-curved leaf, does look like Lagarosiphon major which, as @Mick.Dk says, is banned in the EU.

But Lagarosiphon major has smooth leaf edges and leaves in a spiral, where as your plant definitely has leaves in whorls of four or five, which makes it an Egeria or Hydrilla sp.

Elodea
spp. have three leaves in a whorl.

There are useful drawing at <"http://www.nonnativespecies.org/downloadDocument.cfm?id=1593">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, The plant, with the down-curved leaf, does look like Lagarosiphon major which, as @Mick.Dk says, is banned in the EU.

But Lagarosiphon major has smooth leaf edges and leaves in a spiral, where as your plant definitely has leaves in whorls of four or five, which makes it an Egeria or Hydrilla sp.

Elodea
spp. have three leaves in a whorl.

There are useful drawing at <"http://www.nonnativespecies.org/downloadDocument.cfm?id=1593">.

cheers Darrel
Soooo much credit, Darrel, for doing proper research :)
I readily admit I didn't remember the leaf-spirals of Lagarosiphon. Only received it once, but dismissed it instantly because of the EU regulatives.

Hi all,
I readily admit I didn't remember the leaf-spirals of Lagarosiphon.
I should know, but I couldn't remember and had to look it up.

I don't usually care too much when we are doing surveys, because Hydrilla is a very rare British native, so I discount that, and then all the other possibilities are "invasive aliens", so I haven't usually looked too closely.

One of the Goldfish ponds on campus is full of "Lagarosiphon", so I'll pull a bit out and find out what it really is (although my guess would be that it really is Lagarosiphon major).

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
One of the Goldfish ponds on campus is full of "Lagarosiphon", so I'll pull a bit out and find out what it really is (although my guess would be that it really is Lagarosiphon major).
Here it is.

Lagarosiphon 001.jpg

Not the greatest of scans, but leaves are definitely in a spiral, so it is Lagarosiphon major.

cheers Darrel

Back