• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Maintenance tools

Hanuman

I am looking for a maintenance tool kit (tweezers, scissors, scraper etc). There is a myriad of them on ebay, Aliexpress and the like. Not really sure what to chose but I have read some comments that not all tools are made equal despite the fact they look the same. It seems for example that low end tweezer tend to apply too little pressure at the tip making them virtually close to useless or at least difficult to use.

So far the one I have seen and that looks moreless ok are these tools but I can't be sure of it. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Aqu...20.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.7a2432d9paYKkH

So here is my question. Can anyone recommend a good maintenance kit that is reliable and that is not crazy expensive? Forget ADA or the like as I don't support their excessive prices policy. I don't mind buying Chinese products as long as the "quality" is there. If you can even provide a link to a specific brand/product that would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Tools made made very well with great precision in ergonomics made for durability /professional use, will cost. Because implementing ergonomical data into machinery and tough material to make tools need to be awfully precise, the making of such tools is a delicate proce$$..

Good budget tools cost a bit less and then you always need to make consesions. They still can look awfully good and still can be made very durable what they often lak is ergonomics. Best example that cheapo S bend carpet sciccor, looks good, initialy feels good but after 5 minutes of using it to trim a capret, you feel it aint running so smooth at all. The cut aint realy neet, it hurts my thumb a little rubbing against my skin after 15 cuts. Etc. Thus ergonomical it's an uther failure but nothing can beat it price when you are on a budget. And if it is only for using once every 6 weeks if i happen to have a carpet to trim, than so what. It's a different story with weekly trimming a battery of aqauscapes..

These are all things that can't be seen nor judged from a picture. And my hands (size coal shovel) are like not same size as yours. Maybe it runs perfect in a different size hand, i will never know.. :) It all is very personal and you could be lucky..

For the rest if you can look past the little imperfections they have they just might still be a once in a lifetime buy.

Me too, have a simmular cheap set as you link to for 5 years now already.. It does it's job.. The worst thing that can happen is the the spotweld of the tweezer is made on a blue monday.. Than it falls into to pieces.. But it can be solved like this.. :)
DSC_0473.jpg

And since they are cheap and soft, i simply bend them into working order.. :thumbup: I bet i'm still using this tweezer when i'm 80..

Last edited:
All excellent points which I did not consider. Not being a pro and not having 15 tanks to service per week, buying el cheapo tools might be just as good for what I need.
forgot to ask one detail. Is there any length that is preferable? That product I linked is selling the tools in 25cm, 33cm and 45cm. Which size do you think would be best?

It depends a bit on tank size and hardscape setup what kind of plants. And personal preference.. With going with what you got forces you to get inventive and might make you realise you don't need much bells and wissles.. Look at the Tom Barr video's, i didn't remember seeing him ever using anything special other than what he took from the kitchen draw. And his scapes are about perfect.

Me personaly i only use a straight and a bend tweezers 270mm long a 250mm curved sciccors.. That S bend sciccors i actualy only have to intimidate visitors didn't grow carpets for a long time.

And i have a small spring clips scissors for delicate mosses and places i can not reach good with the long one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-P...-Clips-/283127765264?var=&hash=item41ebbad910

Only using it when i see something that needs to be cut while watching the tank. But during a water change i simply use my hands to trim plants.

If possible it's best to feel how they sit in your hand. You really want something that is comfortable and well balanced. It sounds a bit ridiculous, but after a protracted maintenance session, trimming that carpet etc, you'll be thankful. For instance, avoid scissors that do not have rounded edges to the finger holes, they will start to chafe after a while.
It's also best to buy scissors with quality sharp stainless steal blades that actually cut and don't crush plant stems, to give plants the best possible chance to regrow.

You don't need a full kit like the one in your link. I'd spend the money on a fewer higher quality items. You only really need a pair of S wave scissors (if I had to buy just one pair they'd be those), a pair of pincers, and maybe a sand rake/spatular. One other tool that is not essential, but my favourite for trimming carpets, is curved sprung scissors. You can always add to your maintenance kit as you go along if need be...
In a nut shell it's worth spending a little extra for quality, you don't have to spend ADA type money. JBL's range is good, it's what I use, and Tropica's are also pretty good quality as well, for example.

But at the end of the day I suppose it all really depends on how keen you are and your style of scaping. I tend to use a lot of stems and carpets so it makes sense for me to buy decent tools. Otherwise, like Marcel says a pair of kitchen scissors will suffice...

@zozo Snap Marcel...my first pair of pincers, not used as much these days, but still operable, thanks to a couple of makeshift rivets; repurposed galvanised nails.
IMG_1887.jpeg

I can never make up my mind which ones to order, I bought a cheap pair of scissors online which suffer the chafing issue mentioned above so definitely try some out if you can. For tweezers I haven’t found a set that sit comfortably so I use a couple of bamboo skewers like a pair of chopsticks.

I can never make up my mind which ones to order

You can also hop into a shop that sells Kitchen Gear, i guess these you'll find more frequent in cities than aqauscaping shops, i bet they have (Grill) tweezers in all kinds of sizes and price ranges to hold in your hand before you buy.

hk-14.jpg

Back