• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Electrical cable managment/Equipment control

gunny bedford

Hi
Going to be setting up my first tank in 6 or so years soon. I will have the usual electronic equipment :
Heater
Lights (LED x3 units)
Solenoid for the CO2
Filter
The lights and solenoid need to be on timer.

Having read some articles i realize a lot of people suggest using a logic module like the siemens, but to be honest i wish to try a simpler route, I'm not sure i am up to wiring and installing such a unit. I can recall many years ago a black distribution box which you wired your heater etc into, there was a on/off switch for each bit of kit, it had no timer function, but at least allowed you to wire various bits of electrical kit into one unit, with only one wire going to the plug, i assume this is not made anymore as i cant seem to find it or similar online.
Any suggestions for timer, extension cable etc that could be put together to form an effective, but fairly simple power distribution/timing solution ?
regards
Neil

About as simple as you can get are individually switched extension leads - so each socket has an on/off switch - I just bought a 4 and 6 socket one myself for two tanks. Mounted them all the wall somewhere convenient and much easier to turn things on/off than physically unplugging from a socket. You can add a plugin timer of your choice between the light plug and extension socket - although watch the width as some block the adjacent socket too. Depending on your LED unit it may have a timer/dimmer included anyway.

Ive noticed you can buy a Juwel Novolux light controller. I am buying one novolux light to supplement the 2 led units that come with the tank (evolution aqua EA 900 freshwater) does anyone use one of these units ? could it be used to control more than one LED unit i.e. all 3 in my tank ? it mentions you can set up sunrise/sunset, can all LED units be dimmable ? or is this function specific to make/model ?

Back