• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Re-education.....

If you were thinking of replacing this tank, what would you replace it with?....

• Total voters
So my ‘dull’ platinum (or silvery grey.....(don’t they know grey’s all the rage now??)) ones are parasite free :):lol:
Interesting information though, tbh I bought them for my son and myself based on the silvery look rather than the gold. Another observation is that they look distinctly less deep bodied and more slender than black neons, but again I guess this could be down to locality or genetics of the captive bred breed line?

Last edited:
I suppose morphologically they bare at least a superficial resemblance to Black neons which belong to the Hyphessobrycon genus. Seriously Fish mentions that their taxonomic status is currently uncertain; they have been put in the Hemigrammus genus with over 70 other species, many of which may require reclassification in to existing or perhaps new genera. So I guess it is possible that they could be black neons incognito, but it seems unlikely.

That is one stunning tank you've got, congratulations. I can completely see how one would be sitting in front of it for hours just looking at everything that's going on in there. Very curious to see how it grows in.

Slightly off topic: that glassware inlet I've seen a couple of times now, does anyone know whether they are available in The Netherlands somewhere?
Thanks for the compliment :oops::D I do tend to get lost for time sat watching it, even more so now there are fish out and about. I do watch empty tanks with hardscape also, and then with just plants.....my wife thinks I’m mad :crazy: I guess it just imagining each stage and how it will come together, trying to position plants in your head and then actually realising it. I really enjoy the creative process, hardscaping is what I enjoy most as it’s the backbone to all tanks, planted or not.
I’m intrigued as to how it will fill in also, hopefully I’ve chosen appropriate plants that will maintain the overall shape but develop to offer a more ‘natural’ look.

As for the ea aquascaper glassware set I’m unsure if evolution aqua have a distributor in the Netherlands. Maybe email evolution aqua direct and ask the question.

Cheerio
Ady

Hi all,
I'd be pretty confident that the number of described Hemigrammus species is just a tiny fraction of the actual number of separate species.
Aquarium Glaser report adds some details of the parasite lifecycle
I wonder if that contains the fact that Tai Strietman was alluding to
........The golden gloss covers a great number of pattern that is usually indispensable for determining a species. Today we know a great number of golden tetras belonging to a vast number of different species, although they usually appear only as single specimens in most species......
cheers Darrel

black neons in incognito, but it seems unlikely.
I’m with Tim on this one ;) - fortunately DNA typing is now being used to examine/analyse (ornamental) fish species with some surprising results

I read a paper on the Rosy Tetra Clade some months ago, the fish closest in phenotype (outward) appearance are not always the closest in terms of genetic material

MY bad

I certainly didn’t mean to suggest the present research group was implying the connection, more historical

No not at all @alto, just meant that trying to identify species using classic morphology seems like a blunt instrument by comparison, especially when it comes to cryptic speciation in a genus like Hyphessobrycon which is over 150 species strong and probably still growing :)

No not at all @alto, just meant that trying to identify species using classic morphology seems like a blunt instrument by comparison, especially when it comes to cryptic speciation in a genus like Hyphessobrycon which is over 150 species strong and probably still growing :)

Man, I love hyphessobrycon species, my last one (filamentosus) are awesome; very active in comparaison to most other sp

Ady your journal is the best on here at the moment not only a stunning tank with a long way to go but fish info from alto and tim that in all honesty goes a lil over my head but is still interesting all the same lol thanks for taking the time and sharing Ady
Tim and alto keep the articles comin boys

Ady your journal is the best on here at the moment not only a stunning tank with a long way to go but fish info from alto and tim that in all honesty goes a lil over my head but is still interesting all the same lol thanks for taking the time and sharing Ady
Tim and alto keep the articles comin boys
Thanks, pleased your enjoying it. A very long way to go at the moment :rolleyes: (see below).
I agree there are always plenty of very knowledgeable members to offer interesting insights to all facets of the hobby which makes for great reading :bookworm:

Update;
Tank is dirty, bristlenose poo a lot and flow is disrupted low down around hardscape which leaves ‘dead spots’ where this waste accumulates along with settlement in/on the plants :yuck: I’m going to have to carry out a daylight cleanse including siphoning and ‘wafting’.....along with glassware cleanse :sorry:

Daily 50% water changes were successfully completed for week one and now in week two, every other day is the routine, all early morning well before co2 injection or photoperiod.
The co2 art inline diffuser has been added in favour of the undersized in tank diffuser. After a day off settling the co2 art is proving excellent at misting the tank :)

61ADAD65-19D7-4967-BF19-6EF6351D3A84.jpeg

Co2 is not optimal yet, going beyond peak a few hours into the photoperiod and taking 3 hrs pre lights on to get up. I will stick with it for now until plants begin growing in earnest, using my solenoid on the regulator to turn co2 off periodically for 15min intervals, something I found I had to do in the NAtural Jurassic scape.
Bit of a learning curve again, I’ve been dosing too lean so will monitor progress over the coming days with the increased input. I have also ordered ei fertilisers again for when my tropica supply diminishes as this will be the most cost effective way. Plants are going through an adapting phase (or upset phase :lurking:) with old h. Pinitifida leaves shedding, new growth seemingly muted and bucephalandra not ‘shining’, something is not to their liking but I’m hoping that is fert related. If nothing improves I will add a third Fluval G6 to increase distribution, but currently there is gentle circulation all over with visible misting throughout.

The current photoperiod is from 5-11pm including 1hr sunrise and 1hr sunset periods with a 1hr higher intensity period mid photoperiod. The higher intensity is only 25% whilst the rest is @20% except the hr ramp up/down periods. I am going to increase duration half an hour each day for the rest of the week to give a total 8hr photoperiod but keep intensity the same. I will monitor this and if all is well increase intensity slowly mid next week. Intensity will always remain relatively low on this tank as I prefer a slow and steady growth rate :couchpotato:

All wood mould and diatoms are gone, glass remains pretty clean with a slight biofilm which I remove once a week.

Temperature is around 75f.

CD67E339-FA14-49B0-880C-EAF584E31F86.jpeg

Cheerio and thanks again for all the input, always much appreciated :cool::D:thumbup:
Ady.

Hi
I found the buces need a little more time to adjust even with CO2 and full EI before they take off.As long as U manage to keep them algae free they will reward U in few months.
Regards Konsa
Hopefully, I’m just not seeing much new root development and leaves are a bit lack lustre. Maybe time will be all they need. Will also see if adding extra fertiliser helps.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi
Apart from time they don't need much.When I had mine originally I was with CO2 tank with full EI and strong light.They didn't do much for about 6 months and almost all original leaves wilted away (but that was not the stock from the plant producers that is available now)Then I went low tech and took about 2 years to tripple what I had.Now I have them in 3 different light low techs and they seem to do good in all of them.They not rampant but the growth is good for my conditions.I found they do best if they can strech a root or two in rich substrate or a bit of mulm.
Regards Konsa

Hopefully, I’m just not seeing much new root development and leaves are a bit lack lustre. Maybe time will be all they need. Will also see if adding extra fertiliser helps.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Be patient Ady, that's only 2 weeks :lol::thumbup:

Buces are easy as konsa said, got some on very low tech tank with no soil or ferts and they look brillant

Nice shot, love the talawa branches with the épiphytes and the seiryu, great mix

Cheers @CooKieS and @Konsa, I will be patient and am hoping it’s just adapting but you know when something just doesn’t quite look right....

Hi, what's the thinking behind the 15min co2 breaks?
Cheers k
Co2 has been reaching too high a level for the fish and not levelling out, however plants are not fully settled and growing, nor light at the final intensity which will drive faster growth so I’m turning the co2 off for 15mins to off gas a little a bit like lifting off the accelerator in your car when going too fast.
Surface agitation is high so gas exchange is good and co2 comes on 3 hours before the photoperiod. I don’t want to ease off a little on the co2 or increase the time period it’s injecting before lights on just yet as I know with better plant growth more co2 will be utilised and naturally removed. Might sound a bit crazy but I did this before as I just couldn’t dial it in just how I wanted so found it easier to ‘feather’ the co2.

Cheerio

Back