• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hey all, can some one help me with lighting on my Rio 125...

Vito

I have a rio 125 with the T8 Juwel I-Bar and I want to achieve the 2WPG+.

I want the lighting to be concealed under the flaps, I've seen some people buy the the ballasts with a control attached to it, so effectively I would probably go for a twin ballast but I've come across a few brands and I'm stuck also with size, I think I have to get the 60cm-24W ones, am I correct? Also I not sure If they do T8 ones, is it ok to mix T8 And T5?

one last question is I've read people balance the extra bulbs on the center brace, now it sounds a little dangerous, I could probably stick on some blocks on the ends of the aquarium to create a platform for the end of the tubes... is this the best way to go about this or does anyone one have a better suggestion or mayB a link to someone that dose?

please help, thanks!

Hi Vito,

Well, I can't really give you full answer, but I'm in a similar situation, I have a Rio 125 and despite my best efforts I've been unable to convince my fiancee that we should put a luminaire on the tank, so I'm stuck with what I can fit under the lid of the tank.

Until recently I was running with the standard T8 light bar, I upgraded the lighting by buying additional 18-20w T8 lighting ballasts (the size you'll need) and clipping them to the tubes in the I-Bar to hold them on, I also used zip-ties to keep the extra wires from dangling in the water.

I did have a bit of an issue with the reflectors, when I was running T8's I just pushed them up so that they rested on-top of the second bulb, but I'm not really sure how much good they did.

If you're running T8's, they should be ok to rest on the center brace, but I'd have either end of the tube tied on somehow just to make sure the endcaps don't end up in the water (possibly zip or wire ties on the wires to attach onto the connectors on the I-bar?).

I've upgraded to a T5 High-Lite bar in the middle now, and I'm trying to work out how I can mount my remaining T8's either side without blocking the reflector as when the reflector is moved to accommodate the T8's it seems to really reduce the light output... They really don't seem to think when they design these tanks do they? :)

Hope that helps a little,

Cheers,

Matt

i lived with having two extra tubes attached via tiewraps onto the rio supplied bulbs but in the end it was that much of a pain that I got a 4x24w luminaire off ebay. so much easier to use and you can rest it on the top of the rio so you dont get much light spill if not wanted.

stuworrall said:
i lived with having two extra tubes attached via tiewraps onto the rio supplied bulbs but in the end it was that much of a pain that I got a 4x24w luminaire off ebay.

I agree it is a pain, that's why I was seriously thinking about only adding one extra bulb in at the back in this way for my new setup, it's easy enough to unclip and lift out of the way and you can then shove the i-bar back to allow better access to the tank, you can do the same with the front bulb but it's a bit more of a pain, normally lifted the whole bar off if I needed that much access.

I'd love a luminaire, but for me, I'm not sure I'd want to be caught spending yet more money after I've only just bought the T5 lighting bar! :) and the possiblity of light bleeding out, I might look into a DIY T5 hood at some point (I've built one with the Interpet T5 Twin PC kits when I had a marine) but I think that'll have to wait till I've paid for the rest of the wedding! :).

mjenner said:
stuworrall said:
i lived with having two extra tubes attached via tiewraps onto the rio supplied bulbs but in the end it was that much of a pain that I got a 4x24w luminaire off ebay.

I agree it is a pain, that's why I was seriously thinking about only adding one extra bulb in at the back in this way for my new setup, it's easy enough to unclip and lift out of the way and you can then shove the i-bar back to allow better access to the tank, you can do the same with the front bulb but it's a bit more of a pain, normally lifted the whole bar off if I needed that much access.

I'd love a luminaire, but for me, I'm not sure I'd want to be caught spending yet more money after I've only just bought the T5 lighting bar! :) and the possiblity of light bleeding out, I might look into a DIY T5 hood at some point (I've built one with the Interpet T5 Twin PC kits when I had a marine) but I think that'll have to wait till I've paid for the rest of the wedding! :).

i meant it more to vito re the luminaire as youve already bought your stuff and I couldnt imagine getting rid before youve even opened the box! the other swaying factor for me was that my rio kit was t8 and i wanted t5 and youve already got the t5. I think that only one extra bulb would be a lot easier to live with as you dont have the problem with the front flap being a pain to get into then like I had. once you have four bulbs in there it becomes a real squeeze!

I'd like to go rimless on mine in the future when Ive got some lily pipes but would have to see how much it bulges when the top comes off!

Heh, yep, rimless would be nice someday. But I've been tempted to get rid of my centre brace to sort out this d*mn lighting problem, it would make the issue of getting lights in there a heck of a lot easier, but then again, I would like to make sure my tank stays in one piece so I'm really not sure I can chance that! :)

Anyway, that's me done hijacking Vito's post, hope it goes well Vito!

Back