• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rotala rotundifolia Green

Hi All
I bought some Rotala Green just coming up to a month ago. Growth is good as its now close to the surface, but the new growth hasn't changed leaf shape as I expected.
20190102_205011.jpg
20190102_194636.jpg

I wanted something that looks like this
Rotala_sp._green.jpg

What was the source on the R ‘Green’?

It puts me in mind of R ‘Bonsai’ or some variant

I’ve occasionally seen Rotala’s revert under stress (but not Tropica R ‘Green’ ... though I have seen a few improperly labelled 1-2-Grows)

I bought it mail order from Aquarium Gardens,
I emailed aquarium Gardens and got a reply, Dave sounds pretty certain it's rotala Green and it definitely came in a plastic pot

"Thanks for your e-mail and pictures.
The only other Rotala we sell in net pots is the Rotala Rotundifolia. I am not sure it is this because rotundifolia has more orange and red colours. Depending on your lighting, nutrients and CO2 levels the rotala can look different in growth. It could take more time to change its appearance."

Once mine reached the surface nearly the top leaves went red
I have grown Rotala sp. 'green' in a lot of set-ups, some with extreemely high light intensity and plant reaching surface - but have never yet seen this plant turn red or red-ish.
Red colouration of plant, when reaching surface, defenitely suggest some type of Rotala rotundifolia.

Tropica Rotala ‘Green’ has never been anything but green

Tropica Rotala rotundifolia can vary from decidedly green and then pinks/red as it nears the surface ... or it can remain stubbornly green (Mark Evans journal)

https://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Rotalarotundifolia(033)/4447
Watch the video for typical growth pattern

Mick obviously types faster :p
There is another cultivar of R. rotundifolia that is mostly orange, but is often erroneously labeled R. indica.

There are likely hundreds of varieties and/or cultivars of Rotala rotundifolia. Several going around in aquatic hobby, by funny names.
The one called "indica", I know very well. It is the direct reason Tropica decided not to re-name the Amania sp. 'bonzai' into Rotala indica (though it is allmost certainly a variation of this). This would just add to confusion.
It is now re-named Rotala 'bonzai', to indicate it is still the same plant, having same growth-pattern, but changed into Rotala.

Back