• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Right water conditions for cherry and amano shrimp

Will have a look for this one thanks. Tank lights have just come on and I have found a dead shrimp any reasons why? Do female shrimp die after they have there young? I don't understand that is the 3rd one I've lost in 2 weeks but they are having baby's? Any suggestions

They can do though it is not 'normal.

RE the pre filter sponge - what size is your filter hose?

They can do though it is not 'normal.

RE the pre filter sponge - what size is your filter hose?
It is a bout 3inch the actual bottom grill bit. I did a 50% water change yesterday and when it comes to filling bk up I just connect the hose to my tap and refill with just cold water. And whilst that is happening I put the right amount of dechlorinater straight into the tank with the ferts and liquid carbon could this be the reason am I doing something wrong?

How much liquid carbon are you dosing?

What is the size of the hose that connects to the bottom grill bit?

Sorry I'm rapidly realising I'm not explaining myself very well!.. I mean the diameter of the hose. The hole in that sponge is not very big...

Flora carbo is what I'm using at the min but will be moving onto the tnc product soon. I dose 8 full squirts a day is this ok as it says is ok for the volume I have.

Attachments

• 20180902_165059.jpg
    20180902_165059.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
  • 20180902_165054.jpg
    20180902_165054.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
  • 20180902_165047.jpg
    20180902_165047.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 77
The diameter is about the size of a penny. I have just ordered the fluval edge one instead now I can adjust it if need be.

I've been keeping both my cherries and amanos in hard 7.9 water despite store staff suggesting they will all die within days. Added them with the store water in a bucket and started adding 200ml of tank water every hour. When it was nearly full I added a heater, an air stone and java fern and kept them there for another day before adding to their tank. I haven't lost a single one of them.

You can buy shrimp guards made of stainless steel very cheaply, which might be a wise investment if the inlet is on show.

I have a stainless steel shrimp guard cable (secured with cable ties) on the siphon tubing that I use for water changes.

No more worrying about sucking up fry or shrimp.

I capped the end of it (by lining it with a little foil), so it also diffuses the water when refilling. So no more worrying about substrate getting rearranged either.

(I prefer a sponge prefilter on the filter intake though.)

Hi guys I have lost a few cherrys over the last week. The one today died in front of me it had a white band across it's back. Is this a moulting issue if so is that to do with calcium? I have 2 pieces of cuttle bone in my tank to cover this. Also done a water report and my TDS is 250/GH is 6.7/ PH 7.2. Could it be anything else?

Cheers lee

A white line between shrimps abdomen and carapace is often called white line of death, its a molting problem, could be caused by a number of things, low calcium, poor diet, stress caused by poor, unstable or unsuitable water parameters

Your tds is 250 which is similar to mine so i doudt that is the problem, ph seems fine

Have you tried a calcium/ mineral rich food as well as the cuttlefish

Hope this helps

Hi guys I have lost a few cherrys over the last week. The one today died in front of me it had a white band across it's back. Is this a moulting issue if so is that to do with calcium? I have 2 pieces of cuttle bone in my tank to cover this. Also done a water report and my TDS is 250/GH is 6.7/ PH 7.2. Could it be anything else?

Cheers lee

What else could it be then? Could it be the water change

What is the source of your tank water? Do you dose ferts and do you actually have a TDS meter or you got your stats from a water report? Shrimp and fish are sensitive to TDS changes which explains why some people have issues with larger water changes. The volume of water changes does not matter when the TDS remains relatively unaltered, which is the case when one uses tap water and does large water changes with the exact same source water to actually avoid TDS accumulation in the tank. Red cherry shrimp are extremely hardy in my experience but I do not keep them in fertilized tanks, which can also alter the TDS between water changes. I do large water changes, anything from 50-80% each week and I've never seen a dead shrimp due to a water change I do not know how and when they die...as I've been keeping colonies for quite some time but obviously some eventually die of old age.

What is the source of your tank water? Do you dose ferts and do you actually have a TDS meter or you got your stats from a water report? Shrimp and fish are sensitive to TDS changes which explains why some people have issues with larger water changes. The volume of water changes does not matter when the TDS remains relatively unaltered, which is the case when one uses tap water and does large water changes with the exact same source water to actually avoid TDS accumulation in the tank. Red cherry shrimp are extremely hardy in my experience but I do not keep them in fertilized tanks, which can also alter the TDS between water changes. I do large water changes, anything from 50-80% each week and I've never seen a dead shrimp due to a water change I do not know how and when they die...as I've been keeping colonies for quite some time but obviously some eventually die of old age.
I have just started using a TDS meter. I get my parameters from my water report. I dose tnc complete every day. I change 50% water every week straight from the tap.

Cheers lee

Just measure the TDS movement in that case. For example test straight after a water change and before dosing ferts, then after dosing the ferts to see what TDS movement a dose would be, and then week later before the next water change to see total accumulation. If there is significant difference the shrimp may not like it. If you have too much accumulation, then it is possible you dose too much ferts as well, otherwise the plants would have utilized it and keep the TDS stable enough.

Back