• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The CHI(LL)

Quick update:
These little guys completely decimated the snail and water fleas population in this tank...
It's very interesting to see their behavior fighting for territory, but getting together to investigate whenever there's something new in the tank.
I see them fighting each other very often, but the loser always has a lot of places to hide, so I haven't seen any injuries so far.

The tank had a bit of a re-scape a couple of weeks ago, so I'll have to take a pic soon.

Facebook reminded me today it's 2 years since I bought this tank... my first aquarium ever... today I have 4 tanks... and almost 500L of water to manage between fresh and saltwater.
Learned a lot since then... also spent a lot of money... :lol:
The first critters I got are still going, the Red Cherries, Zebra Nerites, and the Black Bar Endlers still live (for the shrimp and fish, at least their offspring do, as I've sold and also lost a lot of them ever since).

The only plants that survived the first attempts were the Mini Java Fern, the Duckweed (obviously), and the Water Lettuce.

The first post I ever did was actually on my 30th birthday on the Introduction section, followed by a Plant Help thread where everything started.

Seems like it was ages ago...

Last edited:
And to celebrate... a re-scape! :lol: Didn't want to spend any money, so out with pretty much all the vallis, and moved a few plants from the Edge into this one. Doesn't look too good now, but I think it will look nice when everything grows up. Don't know if I've said this before, but it's low tech now!
20180427_135528.jpg

20180427_135542.jpg

A bonus video of the puffers... I think I have 2 males and a female!

Now I hate myself for filming vertically...

That Salvinia looks like it's enjoying the proceedings. Why don't you get a 4 footer for that space and get rid of the smaller tanks? Might be easier to maintain.

That Salvinia looks like it's enjoying the proceedings. Why don't you get a 4 footer for that space and get rid of the smaller tanks? Might be easier to maintain.
Very true.

I just need some storage space in here, and wouldn't trust the Ikea furniture for anything bigger than this...

But on the other side of the room there's a Juwel Rio 240 and a Fluval Roma 200! ;)

Very true.

I just need some storage space in here, and wouldn't trust the Ikea furniture for anything bigger than this...

But on the other side of the room there's a Juwel Rio 240 and a Fluval Roma 200! ;)
Haha got the bug bad!!

How are the RCS and dwarf puffers doing?

I am thinking of getting a few pea puffers for my 2000L to control snails, but worried about my rcs.

Thanks
Fil
Hi,

They're fine. I don't see small ones, so they're either not breeding, or the puffers are eating the smaller ones, but I've never seen them showing interest in the big ones. But, I wouldn't take that for granted... there are enough stories out there way different than mine.

The only downside to these guys is that they'll only eat frozen or live bloodworms and snails (and the snail population will drop fast, as they will eat them, but also kill them just for the fun of it). So take that into consideration before getting puffers.

If you want to play it safe, assassin snails do a great job as well.

I need to do something about this tank... even my quarantine tank looks better than this!
20181220_194146.jpg

I'm also sharing a few pics of my other tanks... as a Christmas present to all of you! :lol:

Fluval Edge
20181220_194350.jpg

DIY quarantine tank
20181220_194004.jpg

Juwel Rio 240 (self-cleaning bare bottom) - Goldfish tank
20181220_193656(0).jpg

Fluval Roma 200 (self-cleaning bare bottom) - Flowerhorn Tank
20181220_193354.jpg

20181219_174219.jpg

Do!Aqua 60L (water change free) - Saltwater Tank
20181220_193153.jpg

Attachments

• 20181220_194146.jpg
    20181220_194146.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 193
Really enjoyed reading your journey. Interesting to see you have MTS, I believe I am going down with the symptoms, 2 and itching for a third! Is there any cure!
I already have a new tank... going to try a Betta Sorority now :rolleyes:

always wanted to do a "Walstad" type saltwater tank <3

STILL CANT AFFORD IT RIP.
Yeah... my initial budget was about £500... spent £1500 for the whole thing, and most of the equipment was pre-owned! But it's now the easiest tank to maintain in the house.

Would love one just after I have won the lottery to built the extension to house it in, AND persuaded my husband he really does like aquariums!!

Back