• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Topping up open tank

I get that plants will use some of what is in the water but surely, even with weekly 50% water changes, everything will constantly rise?
Yes it does rise and no it doesn't rise to unlimited. Over time it rises to a limit.

Use this calculator to see what your dose "accumulates" to.
https://rotalabutterfly.com/accumulation-calculator.php

Here is 7.5ppm dosing alternate days with 50% weekly water changes accumulates to average 50ppm (insignificant) over many days.

upload_2019-1-25_9-1-18.png

I later repurposed those to keep my greenhouse humid enough for my orchids
I would have liked to see that Ed, shame your collection was lost due to a heating malfunction.

but what about after 5/10 years?
I cut my tap water with rain water to reduce TDS. My planted tank has been running for over 10yrs. Try to match the TDS of the tank water to that of my tap water. Do about 30+% weekly water changes and run medium high tech with low fish stock.

Hi all,
Air humidity between 70-90% is afaik deemed most healthy invironment..
I remember having big rotary humidifiers in our living room during winter, to keep humidity up.
I later repurposed those to keep my greenhouse humid enough for my orchids.......
I don't like the air too dry in the house, and I hate it when you go into a glasshouse and the air is drier than it should be.

That is my abiding memory of the tropical biome at the Eden Project is that the air was much drier than it should have been. It was a warm day and a lot of the plants were showing transpiration and spider mite damage, even with the waterfall etc. The glasshouse is equipped with misters, but they were only on intermittently.

It was an organised educational visit and I asked afterwards about the humidity, and they said they kept it at a level that was "comfortable for the visitors", because a lot of people found "hot and humid" uncomfortable.

At that point, whatever they might claim about their scientific remit, for me it stopped being anything but a tourist attraction.

cheers Darrel

"hot and humid" uncomfortable.
Reminds me of a now deceased old school independent lfs. He ran more than two hundred large open topped tanks in a large space heated room. Specs always steam up when you went inside and the carpet runners between the racks of tanks squelched as you walked on them. Good fish though, but you could taste the air. Always thought I should wear Wellies when spending my pocket money at his shop.

organised educational visit
Have you thought about Bristol Botanical Gardens. Wife & I used to be members but we found it more cost effective to be paying day visitors.

At that point, whatever they might claim about their scientific remit, for me it stopped being anything but a tourist attraction.
Last time I visited a couple of years ago the Tropical Biome was looking a bit shabby and the plants were not in the best of shape.
It's become a victim of its own success and is really more of a tourist trap now; wall to wall people doing the Eden Shuffle around the Tropical Biome :rolleyes:
It's a shame, when it first opened it was fantastic.

Hi all,
Have you thought about Bristol Botanical Gardens.
I used to be a friend, and we took the students there when it was still at Bracken House (Leigh Woods end of the suspension bridge), but I've never actually been to its present incarnation (by the Halls of Residence in Stoke Bishop), and I really should visit.

We go to <"RBG Kew now">, in the mean time we went to <"National Botanic Garden of Wales">, but it was a long way and we had a couple of horrendous traffic days on the bridge / M4.

cheers Darrel

I guess the biggest issue is the todays (re)building standard, everybody is pushed/subsidised to make a house as energy sufficient as possible. This means living in a sealed off as possible invironmet with a minimum of draft and thus a minimum of ventialtion. Than depending on the region lots of peoplle prefer it air conditioned and than we end up with the same story, air conditionng only works energy sufficient with a minimum of ventilation. Conditioning are is actualy recycling air in a sealed of invironment and refresh with x %/h. No wonder it needs filters. And no wonder lots of office workers in conditioned building spread a flew like wild fire.

If warm and moist air has no where to go than it can do only one thing and that is condense in the invironment on cool surfaces.

Than indeed having such a modern standardized draftless house, than open top tanks are not a good idea.

I'm lucky i live rented in a house dated from 1920 and even with double glazing and all closed in the winter it still drafts like crazy. I don't realy mind i have 3 open top tanks and never a single drop of condense water on the windows and everything is dry to the bone.. And with all 3 tanks i top off about 2 to 3 litres daily.

I monitored the air humidity for a while about 3 cm above the water level.. I actualy was surprised that it never raised over 50% during lights on.. It must come down again to draft and ventilation also from the warmth the lights above it produce a rising air column above the tank.. I have trouble to keep emersed mosses moist that are higher than 2 cm above the water surface.
This problem of over insulating probably came to light 80s and 90s when loft insulation grants were pushed by goverments and local authority. Insulation pushed right into the roof eaves instead of a gap were the wall cavity is,resulting in mould in the bedrooms underneath.

This problem of over insulating probably came to light 80s and 90s when loft insulation grants were pushed by goverments and local authority. Insulation pushed right into the roof eaves instead of a gap were the wall cavity is,resulting in mould in the bedrooms underneath.

Today it seems still very hot.. :) In my country it is.. Houses get an Energy Label nowadays.. Than if you want to sell it, this label reflects in it's value.
3fff1e4aaeb02e1b206bb5128d3c312c6f6c5f11.jpg

I guess mine is closer to G.. :) I think such an A house all doors and windows closed could be called Hermetosphere.. :rolleyes: Good for Wabi Kusa tho..

Houses get an Energy Label
Same in the UK. The daftest of things can effect your rating. By law a property can only be offered for sale if it has an energy rating. God only knows how my present home would be rated, it was built in 1485.

Like my Avatar? He was my old guy, died last January.

God only knows how my present home would be rated, it was built in 1485.
My mate sold his 1930's house, with I think a B energy rating. He had double glazing, condensing boiler, loft insulation, floorboard sealing downstairs (breathable membrane ?) and when was re-plastered was done with insulated plaster board on exterior walls.

Building regs are becoming increasingly stringent when it comes to insulation. The last two houses I've lived in have been new, and apparently not far off passive house standards.

Same in the UK. The daftest of things can effect your rating. By law a property can only be offered for sale if it has an energy rating. God only knows how my present home would be rated, it was built in 1485.

Like my Avatar? He was my old guy, died last January.
We just lost in 18months our two cats the younger cat passed away first aged 18 we think his mother Soot must have been just under 20 died a few months ago. Funny still look at the fav places , :(were they chilled out thinking have they really gone

We just lost in 18months our two cats
Know what you mean, heart melting when you look at photos. Big hole to fill. Ours was a rescue cat. Came very ill but he pulled through, plastic melting vets fees. With us for seven very happy years. Bomb proof, he would lift his legs so that you could vac under him. Now have another Siamese, a re-homer, one year old queen, very skittish and shy. Hoping that she will calm down with pheromone vaporizers. Makes fish keeping seem trouble free, well almost.

Back