• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cerium oxide kit for glass polishing

Geoffrey Rea

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hello.

Wondering if anyone can endorse a particular glass polishing kit they’ve used?

I’m currently between scapes so given the tank is empty it’s very tempting to try and remove the minor scratches on the front glass.

upload_2019-1-23_15-5-26.jpeg

Worth doing or leave it alone? All minor i.e. you can’t feel an indent so should be removeable.

Any tips welcome as well.

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-23_15-5-44.jpeg
    upload_2019-1-23_15-5-44.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 104
It kinda depends on how deep is the scratch.. :) I once asked professional opinion and the answer was, if you feel the scratch for example with your finger nail, than don't even start.

Sometimes maybe back glass isn't bad, and can swap front to back?

Thanks for quick replies folks.

None of the scratches can be felt by a finger nail. The photo above makes it look bad but that’s really close up. It’s just in an area that is hard to ignore due to where I intend to put the focal point of the new scape.

I think the thing that is bothering me most about this job is access. The scratches are right at the bottom of the front glass near the silicone. The tank is 4ftx2ftx2ft and braced, I’ll be leaning over the rim and upside down when working. Darwin Award in the making :lol::lol::lol:

The tank is 4ftx2ftx2ft and braced, I’ll be leaning over the rim and upside down when working
Errmm lay the tank on its side, scratch side down (on soft cloth) and work from there. Just make sure you have a comfy chair as polishing takes ages.

Thanks for the idea roadmaster. Tank has a black background though that isn’t removable otherwise that would be an instant fix.
Well damn!

Will give repairing these scratches a miss this time. Too worried about compromising a perfect good aquarium for a minor cosmetic annoyance.

Will get a kit and appropriate corded drill at some point and practice on a cheap second hand tank. Figure this a skill so will require practice to make perfect.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

I'd say if the scratches are quite deep, with a sponge head on a rotary tool and the oxide paste you will still effectively polish the actual scratch. It won't remove it obviously but I'd be quite confident it could make even the worst scratches look miles better, especially when the water is in there.

Used to do windscreens back in the day where the wiper arm scratched them. Was a slow process.....

Was very tempted @HiNtZ to give it a go but decided it was easier to just let it go this time.

From what I gather a corded drill or polisher capable of 1500-2000rpm is a must in order to optimally get the paste to work.

Only got a cordless that runs at a maximum of 1200rpm.

Maybe next time.

Was very tempted @HiNtZ to give it a go but decided it was easier to just let it go this time.

From what I gather a corded drill or polisher capable of 1500-2000rpm is a must in order to optimally get the paste to work.

Only got a cordless that runs at a maximum of 1200rpm.

Maybe next time.

Sometimes it's better to retire a tank.

My best advice is to get a decent mop, something with a nice bit of torque but low rpm

Back