• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

50L shallow cube

Also forgot to ask,

Any recommendations for plants at the shallowest part of the tank, something that will grow emergent, and not unbearably high maintenance , bearing in mind it’s probably only gonna be 10-15cm deep!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,
Any recommendations for plants at the shallowest part of the tank, something that will grow emergent, and not unbearably high maintenance, bearing in mind it’s probably only gonna be 10-15cm deep!
You could try <"Heteranthera zosterifolia">, most plants will grow out <"above the surface"> if you let them.

This is @Tim Harrison's tank <"Windswept Eternity">.

31869296645_bfd8fef6fd_c-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

So couldn’t help myself, thought I’d do a quick mock up of the tank, and take some truly shocking photos, but you can just about get the idea, I think the emerald hardscape are too vertical and the tea towel bottom definitely won’t work...

Not the final result, I’m making a mock tank tomorrow to figure the rest out,

2def7c5312e2b41c99be0c6b13fb1a32.jpg

If anyone has any better solutions for cleaning water marks they are very welcome... vinegar isn’t working...

Still trying to decide what sand to use, I have a full bag of this from when I block paved my drive, I’ve seen it used before (on here if I remember rightly) but think it’s far too red, so after some whiter sand!

a000579faca89b4f1cc58e89953992e5.jpg

Thanks
Thom

Made a mock up box,

Took some horrid photos,the back left corner will have a corner shower caddy with Emerged plants, maidenhair fern, palm, lily maybe?!

I want some staurogyne repens on the border of the rocks, but was wondering how everyone allows them to get to the substrate through the rocks, I was planning on binging the holes up with filter wool but I guess I’m gonna have to deal with the sand and soil Mixing?!

Any advice or critique on the mock up welcome!

9c9ebefe0e9d72b01fb3eb4452d92661.jpg

1067a9a7b0b4be60395a9125c0aedb73.jpg

a2c7471f861c12caaf47137285065474.jpg

8c7afaaba002e8865cca3b02a41076ad.jpg

Thanks
Thom

Water marks, i havr been using a blanki. And it scrubs away even the moat stubborn of stains. Even salt creep, and calcium deposits.
I had not algae scraped my tabk glass for 3 months. And theae removed even the hardest deposits of diatoms on the glass. Does not take much pressure to remove, even with my arthritic gammy hands.
493262996409728d05080e1c0d6d9d80.jpg

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Looking good, move hiw vertical the rockwork is. And then the added height of the wood.
And alder cones always look good in a scape.
The repens should work even eith floss. The roots will work their way thru it.

Water marks, i havr been using a blanki. And it scrubs away even the moat stubborn of stains

Do you stock these at maiden head?!?

I’ll call in and grab one if so! The tank was used as both marine and planted so may well be salt! I was worried something too abrasive would scratch the glass! So didn’t want to Attack it with scotch-brite !

Last edited:
Do you stock these at maiden head?!?

I’ll call in and grab one if so! The tank was used as both marine and planted so may well be salt! I was worried something too abrasive would scratch the glass! So didn’t want to Attack it with scotch-brite !

Yep we do indeed, use them all day long for scrubbing the tanks clean. Think they are £10 each.
I am off today, but in sunday then all week.
Remember to introduce yourself as i have no short term memory.

Yep we do indeed, use them all day long for scrubbing the tanks clean. Think they are £10 each.
I am off today, but in sunday then all week.
Remember to introduce yourself as i have no short term memory.

Brilliant! I’ll pop in one day after work next week! I was in this week picking up some stone!

Brilliant! I’ll pop in one day after work next week! I was in this week picking up some stone!

Lol sorry, no idea untill i can put a face to a name.

Wait are you the tall biker guy.

Lol sorry, no idea untill i can put a face to a name.

Wait are you the tall biker guy.

Nope, the short fat biker guy in a Royce’s jumper!

Nope, the short fat biker guy in a Royce’s jumper!

Yep know who you are now, lol

Also i am slowly learning the local lingo. And now know royce's is rolls royce etc

Yep know who you are now, lol

Also i am slowly learning the local lingo. And now know royce's is rolls royce etc

Yeah, I’m not from derby either... you learn quick... don’t worry !

So, after messing about with the hard scape I think I’m just about there, thanks to the good folks for the advice on it!

I’ve been questioning my choice on the heather, and it’s potential bioload if/when it starts rotting! But I have decided to go ahead and monitor it as we go!

I am planning a fishless cycle and I’m in no rush to add fish so will take a good couple of months to see how it goes!

I was looking at manzinata wood and other types but with starting up again can’t condone spending £100’s on wood and wood alone when I have so much to buy!

(Thanks to Andrew for his time over the last two days, he has some beautiful wood for sale just a little out my price range! So go have a look!)

So the heathers soaking, rocks are cleaned and I think this will be pretty much the final scape...

de4c1df8908dfadc8e2063f31ba6c924.jpg

Everything’s ordered and will be getting delivered this week! So may have it ready for plants in a few weeks!

Thanks
Thom

just found your journal! everything looks great, looking forward to seeing how this will progress!

Answering your question over on the hard scape thread.

My plan was to have staurogyne repens around the base of the “wall” with Anubis nana petite wedges in the rocks with microsorum pteropus trident growing amongst the wood!

I would like to introduce moss but I also love the rocks, so I’m unsure what to do!
I would also like to add Hydrocotyle tripartita maybe falling over the edge of the rocks!

Just think making it look natural might be difficult! We’ll see!

Back