• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any Idea What This Algae Is?

Katie656

Hi,

I have a 57 litre Fluval flex that is planted. Specs are as follows:
Standard LEDs that came with the tank (7000k)
Standard filter that came with the tank
Water changes are 50% weekly
Heated to around 26.5C
TNC Carbon 0.8ml daily (just under recommended amount
TNC complete 5ml weekly (recommended dosage)
Stocked with 1 Siamese fighter, 6 Harlequin Rasbora and unknown number of MTS.

Dose anyone know what this black algae is or how to deal with it? I’ve tried researching but can’t find anything like it. It kind of looks like the start of BBA (I think) but has looked like this for months without growing tufts.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1C089A54-A4B1-4331-97BB-55211F7FAC04.jpeg
    1C089A54-A4B1-4331-97BB-55211F7FAC04.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 278
  • 496C0F8C-EEB6-4718-AA82-F3420A4C7F8D.jpeg
    496C0F8C-EEB6-4718-AA82-F3420A4C7F8D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 211
  • E7510404-8B17-44C4-BA94-0621C691A6F3.jpeg
    E7510404-8B17-44C4-BA94-0621C691A6F3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 201
Hi Hoggie,

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve always had a bit of a problem with diatoms, especially in my other tank, and I get a bit of dust algae on my glass. You could be on to something

Thank you DutchMuch, I agree that there is probably a problem with something in this tank. The plants aren’t really growing at all. Looking at my set up do you have any idea of what I can do to improve the health of the plants? Any suggestions would be most welcome.

There was a major melt in this tank several months ago. I lost everything bar the val and crypts. I think it was the result of me baffling the filter so there wasn’t enough flow. I have since added plants but they are not doing a lot

I can certainly try dimming the lights slightly and shortening the photoperiod from 7 hours to six hours.

Here’s a photo, it can probably tell you more than I can.

55192BA7-5C53-407C-B04C-6A99CABF2AEF.jpeg

Yea i have absolutely no clue if that is a good fertilizer or not haha

personally this is what i dose

10- 20 Gallon Aquariums

+/- 1/8 tsp KN03 (N) 3x a week
+/- 1/32 tsp KH2P04 (P) 3x a week
+/- 1/32 tsp (2ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

20-40 Gallon Aquariums
+/- ¼ tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp (5ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

Hi
Your fertiliser is good.The only thing U may consider doing is dosing it daily not weekly.Just put 1-2ml 6 days a week.Also the addition of liquid carbon is good.Hope U are adding the carbon daily?
I will disagree about the 7 hours light being to short.I have thanks that I kept 6 h light in for years with much more plants in.And they all did well.I wont extend the photoperiod untill that tank is full with plants to the rim.
The Cryptocorine sp require a litle bit deeper substrate as they will develop strong root system before they put loads of leaves.Yours seems just covering the bottom.U need sth like 4-5 cm minimum.
Try to get a bit more fast growing plants in if U can.
Hygrophila Siamensis 53,Heteranthera zosterifolia, Limnophila sessiliflora are all easy rampant growers for U to consider .
And trim them affected leaves as soon as U can.
Also U dont need 26.5°C temperature.U can safely drop it to 24 and that will give U better gas exchange and the plants will appreciate it.
Regards Konsa

he Cryptocorine sp require a litle bit deeper substrate as they will develop strong root system before they put loads of leaves.
Very true, i have balansae (oh how i regret planting this) and it has roots going over 18" long in my substrate :(

So when i want to kill one of the plants i do not pull it i simply cut it as far down as i can, because i simply cannot remove them without destroying everything.

Very true, i have balansae (oh how i regret planting this) and it has roots going over 18" long in my substrate :(

So when i want to kill one of the plants i do not pull it i simply cut it as far down as i can, because i simply cannot remove them without destroying everything.
Hi
If the tuber in the substrate is intact they will regrow no problem.
Regards Konsa

Thank you Konsa,

I do dose the liquid carbon daily and can easily switch to to dosing the fertiliser daily too. I have always known the sand was a bit shallow, just been too lazy to change it . I have some JBL Sansibar left over from my other tank that should give a good 5 or 6 cm of coverage, changing it over can be my project for next weekend.

I will remove all of the affected leaves ASAP and get one of the fast growers you suggested too.

Thanks Hoggie,

I have some root tabs in the cupboard somewhere. I will add them when I change the substrate over, give the Sansibar a boost.

Hi Darrel,

I actually have very soft tap water. Straight out of the tap my pH is 7.6 with 2dKH and 3dGH. I use Seachem’s alkaline and acid buffers along with Equilibrium to get my parameters to 3dKH, 5dGH and pH is 7.2.

Hi all,
I actually have very soft tap water.
That makes it easier.
I use Seachem’s alkaline and acid buffers along with Equilibrium to get my parameters to 3dKH, 5dGH and pH is 7.2.
You don't need both the alkaline and acid buffers, and you might not actually need either of them, there is an explanation of why in <"TDS and remineralising...">.

Do you have a TDS (conductivity) meter?

cheers Darrel

Hi
If the tuber in the substrate is intact they will regrow no problem.
Regards Konsa
haha yea i know, i haven't had a failed trim yet :)

what i do is i cut the leaves until it basically just starves. Seems to work for me. Ty!

Unfortunately I don’t have a TDS meter, it is something I have considered getting but not sure what I would do with the information at this point. To be honest water chemistry just baffles me, lol.

I use the Alkaline Buffer to stop my pH from dropping below 6, which I believe would cause my nitrifying bacteria go dormant. The acid buffer is to stop my pH from being pushed up too high. Please correct me if I am wrong on the low pH/nitrifying bacteria thing. I totally get how fish who have evolved to thrive in poorly buffered water can cope with a fluctuating pH and how adding TDS to the water can be counterproductive. I am also happy to save a bit money if I can.

Back