• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello everyone, I need help with getting started (Wabi-Kusa)

WabiSabi

Seedling
Hello everyone!

My name is Ioannis, I live in Stockholm, Sweden and Im a proud owner of a nano reef tank :)
I recently traveled to Japan and i stumbled upon a fantastic pet shop in Tokyo, where I found out about wabi-kusa. I got fascinated and I would like to try make my own. I did some research but I am still somewhat confused and not sure I have understood correctly. Thats also the reason I singed up to this forum. To get help from you guys.

So, from what I understand wabi-kusa is the art of keeping aquatic plants out of the water but always in wet soil. My main concern is the substrate and the soil. What is what and how do they work? What is the purpose of substrate and the soil, and what are their differences? Is there a rule as to how much substrate and how much soil? I have seen some articles that say there should be that much substrate (height in centimetres) and not more than that much soil (again height in centimeters). Below is what I have in mind to do as my first attempt.

As my first attempt to wabi-kusa I want to take a glass bowl, ca 20 cm in diameter. Fill it approximately 3 cm ADA power Sand S, then 3 cm ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia, plus 1cm ADA aqua soil powder. Wet everything, then spread some moss and a few plants and wrap it for two weeks, making sure I leave it open 1 hour the first day, 2 hours the second, 3 the third etc. While doing that I will spray twice a day with DOOA wabi-kusa mist, until the plants get accustomed to being out of the water.

Do you think this would work? Is there something I haven’t thought about? Am I missing something?
Any help is more than welcome :)

Thank you in advance!

Hi Ioannis welcome:).Many members on here do great Wabi Kusa ,check out the WK section, or the journals, Roy(Greenfinger) wabi kusa s are legendary, he also has examples and threads on Glass Box Gardeners, good way to get the knowledge.Wabi Sabi another Amano concept is looking at nature were there is order in what appears not :bookworm: replicted in a nature in the aquarium by careful planting to hardscape:confused:

Welcome!

Your idea sounds good. Aquatic plants grow very well in humid damp conditions. Main problem is usually the humidity going too low. Good luck. T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back