• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

cfrancop

Hello,

I bought some Chinese aquarium plant seeds from a local "ebay" seller, the seller on the description says "Glossostigma Elatinoides Hemianth"... After week those seeds germinated, 2 weeks has been past and those look like the attached pictures.

So can any one confirm if are "Glossostigma Elatinoides"? If not what do you think they are?
Do you think those plants to able to be submerged?

20190127_182429.jpg

20190127_182442.jpg

20190127_182654.jpg

No they are not, these seeds are a scam.. Unfortunately.. I'm not sure what the real sp. is but definitively not an aqautic plant suitable for submersed growth. Several threads about these seeds are already posted here and there.

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/seeds-for-carpeting-plants-myth-or-real.49052/#post-516701

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads...from-seed-impulse-ebay-buy.48088/#post-473061

Do a quick google search for Glossostigma seeds.. You'll find data from seedbanks that collected them.. Elatinoides glossostigma seeds are a few 100 micron in size. The ones you show look like melons vs peanuts by comparance.
Glossostigma%20elatinoides%20DJD1632%20Seeds.jpg

Last edited:
each seed is 1x stem and they don't send off runners so would only be good for the bin mate. pay a few £ more and get a decent carpet plant but that would depend on your lighting and co2, ferts.

i find it that absolutely insane these companies haven not been banned from selling.

>False advertising
>Scam
>No customer service

There are many shops that just pop up, sell a lot and then disappear before anyone complains. It's why you see doctored photos with multicoloured roses, monkeys faces on plants etc, simply a way to attract people to buy and make a little before shutting down the company and starting a new one. Seeds are an easy con because they take a while to germinate.

It's a shame because some seeds like this can look legit.

I guess there is no law against mis identifying plants. Or selling plants with an alledged proppertie they have not.. :) Most likely the people offering these seeds are private sellers and not legit registered companies.
They also do not realy give an ID.. Read the subscription carefully and yo can make up a surprise content. It is seeds from plants like HC or Glosso.. An advertisment from a Chinese seller and google or what so ever provides an amateur o_O translation.

All that makes it very hard to proof they are scamming you.. Matter a fact they do not.. The sell you seeds that could be either this or that or at least look like it.. That it is is the surprise you buy with consent.

It the same thing as all the LFS selling you a Tiger Lotus but than you get a Nymphaea zenkeri.. Mean while Water lily and Lotus are completely different plants not even related. Next time you buy one, demand a money back because you got scammed you ordered a Lotus and not a Lily.. :rolleyes: Than they also sell Parlor palm and Opiopogon grass etc. to non suspecting customers as aqaurium plants. Every day. :(

Last edited:
If you are very lucky, your seed is some kind of Hygrophila. I suspect most are not, though.
I've tested a few of those "china seeds", and some actually survived being submerged. As these grew on and out of water, flowers confirmed them to be Hygrophila. I have no species ID, though.

Aside from the moral/ethical implications of these being the wrong seeds, those ones you show actually look really promising for emersed scapes etc, might have to give them a go lol

Back