• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Paludarium In the making.

B057013B-9B2B-4965-BAC9-1C2EC63CE4FE.jpeg
EAB9C9E9-5DA1-4F06-B5A6-C6CA25A8E172.jpeg

Straight out the shed with these pictures after the first coat of resin and Mahogany dust with a bit of cypress for highlights

Well I have the second tree in place, water in (15 gallons), drip system semi working and all the lighting in place.
Not the best picture but that is the view from my attic armchair with just three of the seven lights on.
Now waiting on mail order parts to finish the drip wall system and the RO top up...

E06EEC91-501E-44F7-873A-B3D87AF2DBA0.jpeg

Ha Ha I have cared for them before when I worked at a fish farm, I might of considered dart frogs but I can’t import them to Guernsey.
I don’t really want the responsibility of any live creatures to be honest.
This is the first time in my life when I have not had a pet of some sort but, I don’t even keep fish anymore and the freedom feels great at the moment!
We look after three dogs for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week and I am more that content with that arrangement.

Looks fantastic, can’t wait to see it planted up. Why not some shrimp? In a mature, well planted tank, they need virtually no care and add some movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been taking my time deciding on any form of planting and come the conclusion that the mass majority of plants have far too big a leaf size to look comfortable in the set up!
However I did buy a jasmine today and I ordered 3 pots of riccia and a nymphaea Stellata
I have set out a few bits of rabbit foot fern but I think that if I can concentrate on covering the trees in moss... then that will be my main goal.

Looking amazing. I love the depth created by the trees. Great piece of DIY!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well there is only one pump, which is my old grundfoss central heating pump that I have managed to repair!
That one pump is actually powering those two external filters, it also powers 10 individual 6mm water feeds that go to varouse spots.
One filter goes to a water fall that cascades down the left hand tree the other filter feeds a drip wall.
The sump has a heater and a top up valve, at the moment there is also a feed simply recycling the sump water but it will eventually go to a trickle tower.
The thing is my pump, on its low setting, produces 2000 lph and it works at a very high pressure too. So I have had to use up some flow by recycling.
I would prefer two or even three smaller separate pumps, but every other pump I have tried makes too much noise.
The tank is in a place where I like to read and get away from my hectic household, so a quiet pump is important to me.
I have ordered a few more plants to try out, they should be here soon....

It all looks a little untidy at the moment but I have mixed up a load of local wild moss and tropical moss with a bit of yoghurt in a blender.
I have spread it all over the place so we will see what happens..
I made this short vid for my own reference really but here you go.....
(HD available)

I think it looks great already, will be cool to see what happens with the moss.

Looking great already. Do you have enough humidity to keep the air plants going or do you have to spray them? If you do how often? I was given a couple for Christmas and I've been submerging them in water once a week until I have an idea of where they are going.

Back