• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi everyone!

The other lighting option is to buy an LED unit that plugs directly in to your T8 fixture, not sure how controllable they'll be, or how much more light they'll give off, if any, but here's an example of what I mean from Arcadia
The advantage is that you can still use your existing lid and keep the lid surround and tank intact.

Hi @SteveMcD, you could try the following:
https://www.aquascape-boutique.fr/epages/233807.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectPath=/Shops/233807/Products/ECLE-002/SubProducts/ECLE-002-0009 for the Chihiros A Series A1201 (in stock) or
https://www.aquascape-boutique.fr/e...7/Products/ECLE-013/SubProducts/ECLE-013-0008
for 2 x Chihiros A+ Series A601 (in stock although I can't confirm they have two of them)
They ship to the UK. If you want to contact them, email to info@aquascape-boutique.fr and address your email to Sylvain. His English is good. I've not spoken to him but have emailed. You can mention my name if you want to. I don't get commission :( and am not affiliated with them.

They also sell dimmers - check first if the product comes with a dimmer. Some models do and others don't. They also have the Chihiros Commander if you want a timer / controller which does sunrise / sunset.

If you contact them, you should ask if they have new / different stock coming in. I am expecting an Series A+ A801 to come in around mid Feb.

Regards

Michael

Hi Micheal, thank you very much for that info, it’s just what I was looking for! I’ve emailed Sylvain just for some further info as I’d prefer the RGB version but if nots going to be available, for that price I’d be happy with the A-series.

The other lighting option is to buy an LED unit that plugs directly in to your T8 fixture, not sure how controllable they'll be, or how much more light they'll give off, if any, but here's an example of what I mean from Arcadia
The advantage is that you can still use your existing lid and keep the lid surround and tank intact.

Hi Tim, I’ve looked into the Arcadia option before I bought the Satellite Pro. I Just wasn’t convinced it’d be enough of an upgrade for the price but I appreciate your thoughts in keeping my tank standard. Thanks.

Hi Micheal, thank you very much for that info, it’s just what I was looking for!
@SteveMcD, You're welcome. I know you are not keep on buying from China but there are good reports about the controller that Hinterfeld used to sell. I saw this in one of @George Farmer's videos where he was showing Steve tanks at home & maintenance program:
Go to about 4min for the bit about the controller. In that vid he had them controlling a Twinstar 600S (with a small / cheap adapter) but also mentioned the Twinstar 600E which does not need an adapter. I can't say with 100% certainty but it looks like they are the same as the ones still available from China on Ebay from a few different sellers. Judging from the ebay pics only :), they appear to fit the Chihiros A Series without the need for an adapter. They are a little cheaper than the Chihiros Commander, take an estimated two to three weeks to arrive but only cost about £10 - £14 incl delivery. At that price, they are below the duty and import VAT thresholds. I've made an offer on one (S2 Pro model) and will see how that progresses. Shout if you want more details.

Regards
Michael

Last edited:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/143079206931

I take it that’s the same one that you’ve mentioned above, Micheal?
Hi @SteveMcD, you could try the following:
https://www.aquascape-boutique.fr/epages/233807.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectPath=/Shops/233807/Products/ECLE-002/SubProducts/ECLE-002-0009 for the Chihiros A Series A1201 (in stock) or
https://www.aquascape-boutique.fr/e...7/Products/ECLE-013/SubProducts/ECLE-013-0008
for 2 x Chihiros A+ Series A601 (in stock although I can't confirm they have two of them)
They ship to the UK. If you want to contact them, email to info@aquascape-boutique.fr and address your email to Sylvain. His English is good. I've not spoken to him but have emailed. You can mention my name if you want to. I don't get commission :( and am not affiliated with them.

They also sell dimmers - check first if the product comes with a dimmer. Some models do and others don't. They also have the Chihiros Commander if you want a timer / controller which does sunrise / sunset.

If you contact them, you should ask if they have new / different stock coming in. I am expecting an Series A+ A801 to come in around mid Feb.

Regards

Michael

Oh & thanks again for recommending Sylvain. He offered some very sound advice to my lighting needs & ive ordered a A1201 plus. I might finally be able to grow a proper carpet

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/143079206931

I take it that’s the same one that you’ve mentioned above, Micheal?

Hi @SteveMcD, Yes that is the one. Please don't take the item location and delivery timeframe literally! The actual location is likely to be China and it may not make it within the estimated 10days. I chose a different seller who seemed to be more transparent with a Shenzen location. The one I chose was offered for £10.99 and also had the "Make an offer" button. I did so for £10.01 which was accepted (incl shipping). I see now that others are listed below £10!! Mine has been shipped albeit that the advertised delivery of 6th - 15th Feb (2 - 3 weeks) was changed after purchase to around "4 - 6 weeks for the UK". It's not a problem for me as I still have some items to sort out before I set my tank up anyway. Having said that, I could not see any of these that I was confident as being located in the UK so as long as you're not in a rush, you're ok with buying from abroad.

I can't remember if I mentioned, but whichever one you buy, I went for the "S2-Pro". The S2 does stepped dimming and the pro does a gradient. For me, the main goal is to avoid startling the livestock and I think gradient is better for that. Plus also being able to dim without using the full strength will probably be necessary in my planned setup. At least that is the plan!

thanks again for recommending Sylvain

You're welcome. :) If anything goes wrong, let me know. I can't help but I can stop recommending them if they don't do what they promise. So far, so good for my own experience with them.

might finally be able to grow a proper carpet

I should think so! 420 individual LED's @ 120W according to Chihiros' website.

Have a look at the following posts on this forum if you have not already done so:
Crystal Mountain by @Nuno M. That was using 2 x A1201's.
Product review with loads more details by @tmiravent including all important PAR readings.

I know they are slightly different setup but you get the gist. PS: The ref to 2 x A1201's in each post is probably the same tank as the two members are friends.

Lastly, the light you have bought will come with an EU plug on the mains lead. Either chop it off and fit your own UK one, buy an adapter or use a UK cord. I had a spare UK one which fits the power supply - the power cord is in two pieces - wall plug and cable as the mains supply lead one and power supply (transformer) + connector to the light as the second. The connection of mains lead into the transformer is pretty standard. If you don't have a spare one like I did, you can find them online (I had one on Amazon in my shopping list in case I did not have one but they should also be available in hardware stores to avoid the postage cost). A small price to pay for having to buy from outside the UK.

All the best!

Michael

Mine has been shipped albeit that the advertised delivery of 6th - 15th Feb (2 - 3 weeks) was changed after purchase to around "4 - 6 weeks for the UK".

Hi @SteveMcD, This is just an update to say my S2-Pro controller arrived today. Much earlier than any of their projected dates which is always a good thing. Tested tonight and works fine. Was not exactly as I had expected but simple enough to set up and does a good enough job for what I need. The only issue which is not as expected is how quickly it does the sunrise and sunset "phasing". I thought if I set a ten minute (just for testing purposes) sunrise, it would evenly divide the period up and divide by the difference between start and end intensity. It gets the start time right as well as the start and end intensity but did the "phasing" in much less time. The same with the "sunset". It might be me making a mistake with the settings. Having said that, it does the job I bought it for so I don't have complaints and will play with it a bit more in a couple of weeks when I plan to do the tank setup.

Another good thing is I can do away with a power plug timer which is better from a safety point of view. And are much bulkier than I like too. So, a + I had not planned for originally. :)

Also, plugged in perfectly to the Chihiros' cable.

Regards
Michael

Hi @Matt @ ScapeEasy, agreed! I went to digital ones. Simple ones from B&Q. One started being warm recently so it got binned. At least it was quiet. :) but could have quietly burned my house down! :(. I wonder if anyone has used one of those S2 type controllers for a CO2 solenoid before? Hmmm...

Thanks for the info, Micheal. Light unit arrived Friday, it’s amazingly bright! Just waiting for the controller & I also need a way to attach the light to my tank as the fittings included won’t do it!

the fittings included won’t do it

Hi @SteveMcD, what is the issue with the fittings?

That's good news about the light arriving though. One step closer. On the controller, I've tried mine again and I was either wrong first time or made a mistake with setting it up. It works as it should. If you struggle, check out this thread and specifically, @Ady34's thread:

Press and hold ‘mode’ button until you get the 1st program setting flashing up, then you can start programming.
Your first timer setting should be the time you want it to come on but at a 0% intensity, the second timer program is what intensity you would like it to reach by a particular time, for example timer program 1 say 9.00am at 0% then timer 2 at 9.30am at 50%. That will offer a sunrise from 9.00am to 9.30am up to 50% light intensity. The next input of 3 could be when you want your photoperiod to run to and then begin ramping down from, say at 5.00pm. So program 3 would be 5.00pm at 50% again, then program 4 at 5.30pm at 0% intensity. This would offer a sunset period from 5.00pm at a maximum 50% to zero at 5.30pm when lights would be totally off. The rest of the programmes to 8 are just left unused.

Regards
Michael

Once again, that’s brilliant info thanks Micheal!

Hi @SteveMcD, what is the issue with the fittings

The fittings supplied are a Perspex style bracket that’s designed to sit over the glass of the tank, then tightened by two plastic screws to support. On the Fluval Roma there’s a black plastic frame around the top of the tank & the brackets aren’t wide enough to go over it. I’m going to visit B&Q this week & see what I can find!

On the Fluval Roma there’s a black plastic frame around the top of the tank

Hi @SteveMcD, Sorry - was not aware of the plastic frame. :( I hope you find an alternative bracket. Worst case scenario, you may have to modify the acrylic ones or the plastic frame but searching for an alternative first is the right move.

Regards
Michael

Hi @SteveMcD, Sorry - was not aware of the plastic frame. :( I hope you find an alternative bracket. Worst case scenario, you may have to modify the acrylic ones or the plastic frame but searching for an alternative first is the right move.

Regards
Michael

Don’t worry, Micheal, you weren’t to know & the advice you’ve offered so far has been a brilliant help. I’m still waiting for the controller to arrive (due today) & I’ve still got my co2 to rig up, so I still have time to play & get the light where I want it.

Back