• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suggestions to compliment Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini'

Simon Cole

Does anybody know of a plant that could be used to compliment eleocharis acicularis 'mini' that is slightly taller and a grass-like plant with wider leaves. Is there something similar to vallisneria nana that grows a bit shorter. The tank is somewhere between medium and high tech.

Helantium tenellum green
Regards Konsa

tenellum green can be a little aggressive/invasive.
Tenellum brown is less aggressive and works well with micro swords and mini hair grass IMO. Have it in my tank and it's does give a more natural wild look IMO

True it can be unpredictable but I've also found it grows so well fo me that the 'unpredictable bits' can simply be removed...

One of my Sagittaria has hit about 10inches and would be easy to mistake as Vallisneria if there weren't smaller daughter plants spreading out around to give the game away. I just wish the Eleocharis I planted along with it as a mixed carpet did the same, the light wasn't strong enough above it and it just faded away.

Interesting... I believe Sagittaria Subulata grows taller in lower light (in my case, towards the back of the aquarium) does this fit with your experience?

Thanks for the awesome suggestions guys. The Helanthium tenellum suggestions Konsa and Zeus look to be pretty ideal. I'm experimenting on this tank with a new turbo reactor, and also some 5630 LEDs above areas that are unshaded and deeper down in the water. I presume this kind of plant does well with daily nutrients dosing, or is it particularly fussy about having a particular substrate for this purpose? I'm certainly going to get this plant.

Interesting... I believe Sagittaria Subulata grows taller in lower light (in my case, towards the back of the aquarium) does this fit with your experience?

In my experience it doesn't matter. I've had plants over a foot growing in different parts of the same tank growing next to normal sized ss. This tank had direct south facing sun for a large part of the day in summer and was also lit from above. The plant mass in the middle of the tank was so dense that the sunlight didn't penetrate to the front which was low light, yet plants in all areas of the tank displayed the differing lengths.

I think helanthium is a great plant idea. Another less commonly seen one that I think complements hair grass, albeit perhaps a little smaller than you'd like and not the easiest plant, is Eriocaulon. It might be a little too extreme but it's an interesting species.

Echinodorus tenellus.
I used it here at the edges of the tank with eleocharis mini in the centre:

55514BE6-5573-4D00-8FEF-0EE49CC403AD.jpeg

Cheerio,

Thanks for the awesome suggestions guys. The Helanthium tenellum suggestions Konsa and Zeus look to be pretty ideal. I'm experimenting on this tank with a new turbo reactor, and also some 5630 LEDs above areas that are unshaded and deeper down in the water. I presume this kind of plant does well with daily nutrients dosing, or is it particularly fussy about having a particular substrate for this purpose? I'm certainly going to get this plant.
Hi
It is quite hardy plant.It won't mind any substrate if U put some ferts in water column now and then
Regards Konsa

Back