• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1 Gallon Jar, Modern Day Walstad

Marc Davis

1 Gallon Jar Aquarium

Yes...another tank haha. My wife hates me, the kids have forgotten who i am....I'm addicted.

So the video explains all, but i basically found an old jar behind my house and the first thing i thought was "is this big enough for some kind of aquarium".

Well yes it is, it needs time to get settled but it will house some shrimp and snails and also endler guppy babies when i get some (which is months away i suspect so it will be fully cycled and working well by then).

Here is the making of video as usual and the some stills after for anyone who doesn't like videos lol

The tank

Screenshot_20190130-203921_Video Player-1024x498.jpg

Hardscape
Screenshot_20190130-203912_Video Player-1024x498.jpg

Substrate Plus aquatic and terrestrial moss
Screenshot_20190130-203944_Video Player-1024x498.jpg

Final Shot
Screenshot_20190130-204014_Video Player-1024x498.jpg

Let me know what you think guys. Comments welcome.

I will be updating as the tank progresses. I basically want a jar of tamed green with lots of critters.

Looks really nice, terrestrial moss seems tricky to keep going indoors due to low humidity. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks really nice, terrestrial moss seems tricky to keep going indoors due to low humidity. Good luck

The wood that its attached to is fully saturated due to being partially submerged in the water. I'll also be spraying it with my mister as i do with all my ferns each day. Hopefully that will be enough...

Looks stunning, really like that.

Hi Marc
What is your idea about the sand under the aqua soil.Why U didn't go aqua soil only?
Regards Konsa

Impressive growth with the hair grass. Looks lovely. T

It’s amazing that you can have 5 to 6 plant species in a 1 gal jar. I hang a couple 1 gal planted bowls by the window (pic in avatar) that maintain only two plants, a floater and a carpet plant in each. The water capacity is less than 0.5 gal after subtracting the substrate and rock. I guess your use of emerged growth and drift wood increases the effective capacity and makes it look uncluttered. I’m afraid having emerged growth will enable my shrimp and a crayfish to escape.

It’s amazing that you can have 5 to 6 plant species in a 1 gal jar. I hang a couple 1 gal planted bowls by the window (pic in avatar) that maintain only two plants, a floater and a carpet plant in each. The water capacity is less than 0.5 gal after subtracting the substrate and rock. I guess your use of emerged growth and drift wood increases the effective capacity and makes it look uncluttered. I’m afraid having emerged growth will enable my shrimp and a crayfish to escape.
They dont usually want to escape unless the water quality is off or there are predators in the tank??

Back