• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Upgrade Fluval hood to LED

Matthias

Hi all, I'm considering a little diy aquarium hood hack to upgrade my fluval roma 90 to LED lighting and was wondering if anyone had any tips or experiences. Planning to do this in a low cost DIY way if possible.
It's a 60cm/90litre aquarium and the hood is attached to the tank so getting rid of the hood altogether isn't an option. I've already replaced the original t8 lighting with 2x 24W Juwel t5 tubes using arcadia waterproof fittings when I got the tank about 6 years ago. It's time to replace the t5 tubes as they've got a bit dark. I like the look and price of the chihiro led units, but I'd have to mount it inside the cover of the existing hood. I'm a bit concerned that it might overheat or condensation might get into the fittings over time as those units are intended for an open aquarium.
Any ideas?

Thanks @soggybongo - looks like a neat solution. I hadn't thought to cut through the hood. Amazing tank btw, and interesting process to start it off with emersed plants without water.

Back