• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi! I'm TreesKnees

TreesKnees

Seedling
I just discovered this forum and I am so excited. I really want to create a low-tech, heater-free, paludarium. Problem is, I have no idea how to start other than by just buying a tank and going from there. But then I realized... Some tanks come with filters, and some don't! I thought it would just be easier to buy one with a filter, but then I thought perhaps a filter wasn't necessary given that the water will only come halfway up, and I only want some little shrimp or snails or whatever...

Anyway, looking forward to learning from everyone here.

Welcome! :)

You'll find some inspiring paludatiums on the forum when you have time for a good read.

Some filters that are built-in to a tank won't work with a reduced water level. If it's not built-in, but just included in the deal it should be OK, unless it's the "hang on back" style.
External canister would be fine, and internal will be OK, though you might have to position it horizontally instead of the more usual upright position as the 'nomal' ones are desighned to run completely submerged.
There are some internals specially designed for low water levels, often advertised as being to turtle tanks, but I haven't tried one yet so I can't say if they're any good.

Thanks, Sparkyweasel!
I have indeed seen many inspiring paludariums. I just struggle with the need to read a lot first - I'm much more of a learn-by-doing person. As such, I really appreciate your comment! I was so close to buying a tank that came with a built-in filter... I guess I need to have a filter, but not one that is built-in.
What is more interesting to me is to figure out how to create a little land/cave bit that my little shrimps or whatever can chill in!

Back