• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rescaping w/ fresh aqua soil but existing filter, when add fish?

Jack Reilly

Hello,

I only run a single aquarium. I want to do a rescape soon (tank been running for over a year).

I plan to keep the fish in a 70 litre bucket with the filter running on it while I rescape the tank (so just a day or so).

My question is if I rescape with fresh ADA Amazonia aquasoil, am I able to add fish back into the tank immediately, using the existing filter? The existing filter is mature at 1year old, full of seachem matrix.

Will a mature canister be able to handle fresh Amazonia which is leaking extra ammonia?

If I can't immediately add the fish I'm not sure how I'm meant to rescape without getting a second tank (tiny apartment, can't really do this).

I wouldn't bother with any substrate and just use the bucket with your tank water and filter.
be gentle with the filter as you'll find a bucket full of detritus. Have some ready made up water to hand just in case.
what filter are you using though as I wouldn't be putting a Fluval fx6 into a 70ltr bucket.

I've just done the same and rescaped with new Amazonia and using a mature filter and I still seen an ammonia spike at the start for the first week, the filter was handling it but just not quick enough to begin with

Daily water changes with full dosing of prime for the whole tank might help you overcome the initial spike if you've no other option but it's not ideal

Build up the bacteria in your filter by cleaning then feeding heavy until you rescape

I wouldn't bother with any substrate and just use the bucket with your tank water and filter.
be gentle with the filter as you'll find a bucket full of detritus. Have some ready made up water to hand just in case.
what filter are you using though as I wouldn't be putting a Fluval fx6 into a 70ltr bucket.

Oase 350. I was planning on having the lily pipe just above the water surface as that seems to lower the flow. Otherwise I can just wraps the outlet with some sponge.

I've just done the same and rescaped with new Amazonia and using a mature filter and I still seen an ammonia spike at the start for the first week, the filter was handling it but just not quick enough to begin with

Daily water changes with full dosing of prime for the whole tank might help you overcome the initial spike if you've no other option but it's not ideal

Build up the bacteria in your filter by cleaning then feeding heavy until you rescape
When did you readd livestock and were they okay ?

I could always keep the fish in the bucket for a week but it would mean running a second filter which I’d need to cycle first (and buy...).

What about if I put the new Amazonia in the bucket for a few weeks with it’s own seeded filter to cycle it first?

Another option would be to use something like cal aqua soil that doesn’t cause amonia spike, but I think ADA is the best soil.

Thanks for your advice.

Ah you don't have the Amazonia yet, go for Tropica then!

Mine isn't getting stocked till after 2-3 weeks

I would not expose fish to possible ammonia spikes. The filter may handle some but the exposure to toxic ammonia, although it may not kill fish outright, will have long term effect on their well being and fish normally die premature of diseases within half a year to a year of the exposure. So I'd keep them in the bucket, or even better, in a plastic tub and I'd only introduce them once the main tank has stabilized. You can steal a piece of cycled media to add to your new filter. Also, long term, having two filters in a tank aids in redundancy. A lot can happen over the years and it is good being safe than sorry. Extra filtration is always a benefit too.

I have just set up a fluval spec 19l with tropica soil. Soil depth is about 1.5 to 2” with a slope at one end up to about 3”. I used a bit of wood out of another tank and unknown to me a tiny cherry shrimp hitch hiked. Water changes were as per the tropical app, so 50% twice a week. The cherry shrimp was discovered about two weeks down the line.

So with modest amounts of tropica soil the ammonia spikes weren’t enough to kill the shrimp, with regular water changes. It’s a pity you cannot get it in Aus.

If Ada soil is what you really want I’d put it in a bucket for a couple of weeks and change water regularly to leach out the initial ammonia spike. I’d also stir the soil to ensure it’s all been exposed

Or option two, rescape and use a substrate under gravel, rather than soil. That’s what I did in my existing 125l using jbl substrate and low tech the plants are looking great.

I know this is an old post but I have a similer question .

I have a oase bio master 250 ( mature )

I have started a rescape with new Ada ver 2 Amazonia and have left the tank running for a week dark start method .

I have tested every day and see no amonia, nitrites or nitrate present

It’s a 45p ada tank so my guess is this filter and the heavy amounts of matrix are controlling everything to safe levels

Would you suggest I wait to add plants and livestock? Surely I would I have seen the spikes by now ?

Hi all,
I have tested every day and see no amonia, nitrites or nitrate present....Surely I would I have seen the spikes by now ?
I think you are right, so something wrong with the test kits I'm afraid and <"possibly / probably the nitrate one">?

The ammonia (TAN) from the Ada Amazonia has to have gone somewhere, so unless you are doing huge water changes every day it is is still there as some combination of NH4+ / NH3 or NO2- or NO3-.
Would you suggest I wait to add plants
No, <"I'd add the plants now">, they are going to suck up <"all forms of fixed nitrogen">.
and livestock?
Wait until the plants are grown in. I'm <"pretty cautious">, but it saves any risk to the fish.

cheers Darrel

I’ve tried multiple test kits and all showing no traces of NH3 NH2 , N03.
I think I’ll plant this up and wait before adding livestock just to be safe.
Hopefully I won’t see any diatoms with the filter been mature - fingers crossed

@dw1305 you where totally right I went and bought a API fluid type and the NH3 is through the roof ha ha .
Should we do occasional water changes during dark start so the filter stands a chance ha

Hi all,
@dw1305 you where totally right I went and bought a API fluid type and the NH3 is through the roof.
It had to be something a bit strange.
Should we do occasional water changes during dark start so the filter stands a chance ha
Yes I definitely would. You won't have much ammonia when the tank is running, so you don't want much when it is "cycling".

Cheers Darrel

Back